Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bizarre question time.

I read somewhere about office workers having raised desks that they stand at. I believe the reason was to cut the number of dodgy backs from sitting hunched over all day. If I remember correctly it cut the number of sick days for backs, by about half

Correct.  The sit / stand desk is very popular right now.  It gives you the ability to move around.   I like to sit at a desk while typing, I am a 10 finger typist so position is important to me.  But there are other tasks I like to do standing.  I used to work at a drafting board and would often stand while drawing...back in the dark ages when we did such things!  :)   Tonight I was stuffing envelopes standing at my kitchen island. 

Correct.  The sit / stand desk is very popular right now.  It gives you the ability to move around.   I like to sit at a desk while typing, I am a 10 finger typist so position is important to me.  But there are other tasks I like to do standing.  I used to work at a drafting board and would often stand while drawing...back in the dark ages when we did such things!  :)   Tonight I was stuffing envelopes standing at my kitchen island. 

Flashback. I used to use a Hamilton Standard electric drafting board for quite a while. I could draw with the board vertical, horizontal, or anywhere in between, and sometimes raised the board pretty high to enable me to stand while drawing. I actually miss those days, sort of.

A funny thing... today I was looking at a Staples store coupon and was reading the sale exclusions and saw "Steelcase".  That got my interest up so I hit their website and I'm happy to report that Staples actually sells Steelcase Leap chairs.  This is in my professional opinion the best office chair on the market. Yes, it is a $900 chair, but your health is worth more than that for sure!   And it will be the last office chair you will ever buy. Steelcase quality will last a lifetime.  I was a big Steelcase buyer in the late 1990s when they developed the chair, and I was on their product review team.  I had prototypes in my company before they ever hit production.  The biggest problem I had with our chair trial was getting the prototype chair back from people! They all wanted to keep it.  Last I remember as a top tier discount customer I was paying around $650 for these in quantity.  

The Leap chair has been in production since the late 1990s and as I said, they last forever.  There are millions of them out there, so you should be able to find one used.  I know I checked Craigslist a while back and there were some for sale in the $200 range. See it in the link below...

http://www.staples.com/partner/steelcase/#!/sku/1584842