Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevy orange and Chysler orange, what do I get?

Hey guys so my question is as my title states? 

Chevy orange?

Chysler orange?

I realise Model master will do something although not sure if hobby shops stock Model master in New Zealand, I know one shop was talking about getting a full range of Testors paints just before I put my kits away a couple of years ago, going go there tomorrow.

Chrysler Orange is most important as I need that now.

Thanks guys.

Is there an auto supply store near by that might carry engine paint. Dupli-Color is a brand sold in the U.S. They offer OEM type touch-up spray paint as well as engine , exhaust, chassis, and wheel paints. I realize that brand may not be sold there but a company like that may have like products. 

Bill Hirsch manufactures engine enamels in quart cans . I know this is HIGHLY impractical for model building . One I guess could buy a can and sell off bottles of a usable quantity . I have found that Ford Flathead orange , (Used 1953 in automobiles built in Norfolk Va. and Dallas Texas ) can be used on Chevrolet 1956 on V-8's

There are two or three distinct shades of Chrysler Engine Orange : c.1964-1967 Hemi Orange (A/K/A "Race Hemi Orange" ; this was also used on the 1962-1964 Max Wedge / Super Stock 413 and 426 cube engines) ; c.1968-1971 Hemi Orange (A/K/A "Street Hemi Orange" ; this was also used on 1969-1971 383 HP , 440 HP , and 440 Six Pack / 6 Bbl ; and 1970-1971 340 ). Then there was "Air Cleaner Orange" which , however , is almost indistinguishable in small scale .

There are two shades of Chevy Engine Orange ; one of them is more reddish (please correct me if I'm off on years here) and was used from 1955-1964 ; and one which is more "outright" orange , which was used from c.1965-1972 .

I've used "1:1" engine paint on my builds for the better part of 20 years .

There are two shades of Chevy Engine Orange ; one of them is more reddish (please correct me if I'm off on years here) and was used from 1955-1964 ; and one which is more "outright" orange , which was used from c.1965-1972 .

That's correct. It should also be of note that from '55-'66, the orange paint was used on Passenger engines only. Truck engines were different colors depending on year and application, with gray and green being the most common in light trucks. Also, not all Passenger engines were orange.  In '56, some Passenger 265s were red, rather than orange, and in '57, the 265 in Passenger were chartreuse.

http://www.1954advance-design.com/Web images/PPIP/PPIP-1912-1966-EngineColors.html