Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best resin solid axle swap parts for Monogram Bronco?

Anyone ever swapped the Monogram '80 Bronco over to a solid axle front suspension? What are the best axles to look for, and what are the best place to look for parts to make this look as legitimate as possible? suspension.. axles... steering... etc? I know very little about truck suspensions myself... so maybe there's sites I've not seen before?

Also planned to raise it up a bit for larger tires

Edited by JTalmage

Back in the day, when split axle Fords were converted to solid axles, we used to use the 1/2 ton front axles out from under the front of the 70's style Ford trucks with coil springs and radius arms. You could source the Firestone kit or B-N-L Resin sells those axles as well. If you are lifting it, you may want to consider using real coil springs. If you had a Dana 44 style hog's head from any kit, you could make your own axle tubes out of tubing. Just make sure to mount the hog's head upside down because those Ford axles were reverse cut. The Monogram may be 1/24 instead of 1/25 so you will have to adjust for that.

The front would be similar to this: