Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rookie solder-er-er - "Vicarious"-ly inspired by Randy (gee thanks for that!)

BDSchindler

So a couple of months back I was in the grocery store and passed by the magazine rack looking to see what was there...automotive speaking, that is.  I noticed a different magazine that I've never seen before..."Street Trucks Innovation" and on the cover was a really striking 52 Chevy 3100 street truck in bright orange, black grill, wheels and window trim.  Built by HPI Customs in Canada for the owners father.  The background story is touching...and long so I won't go into it (google "Vicarious Chevy Street truck").

Here's the original art for the truck...the final product changed just a bit...

vicarious.thumb.jpg.b364cb9b567e04c98dfe

Pretty much, it appeared to be a near stock 52 cab with minor body changes and the bed is from a more recent Chevy P/U with shaved sides and original 52 fenders.  Here's the finished version:

vicarious-2.thumb.jpg.5f8946b28a6a3e3417

so with a few changes, I figured it would be an easy enough build using the 50 Chevy 3100 from AMT as a base with pirated bed sides.  For stuff and giggles, I emailed HPI and told them that I thought they did a beautiful job and intended on an attempt at replicating it in scale.  HPI could not have been nicer and provided all sorts of pictures from the build.  After trading emails and looking at the build pics...typical with street rods, about the only thing in common with the stock 52 is the general design of the cab.

After looking at the frame (below) I knew a scratch built frame was on order and while I thought I could do it with plastic I also thought...what about a simple frame in Brass? 

vicarious-1.thumb.jpg.574486677c0ce771a5

Enter Randy and his impressive soldering that makes you want to toss everything into a wood chipper and take up whittling tree branches into sharp pointy sticks to shove in your eyes (just kidding randy, really beautiful work)!

We recently had our water heater take a dump on us so while the plumber was installing it, I started asking about soldering.  He was intrigued with the amount of Danbury Mint diecast (don't hate...I used to collect and review them for magazines) that lined the basement (man cave) walls (especially the butter nut yellow 68 Chevelle of which he had a similar 1:1 of) and he asked if I had the brass, solder and a torch and he would show me a few pointers.  Just so happened that I had brass already cut and a handheld torch.  So he took 30 minutes and gave me a quick lesson in what he called "micro soldering".

Fairly simple, measure the brass, cut the shape, clean it while roughing it up a bit, "tin" it, hold it together with some sort of clamp/hold down to keep it from moving, heat the brass up hot, remove the heat and immediately touch the solder to it.  If it is hot enough, it will flow into the seam and hold it tight.  I had solder with flux in the core and my new-found plumber friend mentioned I was better off using flux paste and silver solder for better hold.  Paid his bill for the water heater and gave him the Danbury Mint Chevelle as a thank you for his lesson in micro soldering.

Granted, this is a simple soldering job but it is my first attempt.  what's more is...it actually held together tightly and still at 90 degree angles!

Maybe attempting the basic frame out of brass isn't too far out of the realm of possibilities...(d*mn you, Randy Ditton, d*mn you!)

soldering.thumb.jpeg.ce025232162ef03fb9d

Edited by BDSchindler

Caution!  This stuff has proven to be addicting!  You will find yourself with bucket of metal, a drawer full of solders and fluxes and more soldering tools than you ever knew existed!  Eventually you will find yourself on the Sherline web site and your credit card in hand.  When that day comes, don't blame me.  I warned you! :blink: