Model Cars Magazine Forum

'29 Ford - first Hot Rod magazine color cover car April 1951

Phildaupho

The first all color Hot Rod magazine cover April 1951 was sixty-five years this month. I decided to recreate this cover and cover-car feature article in scale.

The blue ’29 Roadster has appeared Under Glass previously in its Bonneville configuration and build details were posted On The Workbench. Since then the numbers have been removed, air cleaners and street exhaust are in place and the windshield and headlights installed. The model now has the kit rear tires with caps and rings installed all around.

The yellow ’34 Roadster was a quick curbside build for the Hot Rod cover simulation. I cut the top off an AMT ’35 Ford 5-W and added the front end from a Revell ’37 Ford Pickup

April-1951-HRM cover - modifiedHRM April1951

OK - I guess April Fools is over now everywhere in the world!! I thought this would have generated more comments but it was fun to do none the less. The real cover had the cars reversed and there was no article or mention of Skip Hudson's '29. The Jack Morgan's yellow car did have a full feature. Coincidentally both cars have disappeared. I plan to do separate full color posts for both models.

Hot-rod-magazine-april-1951