Model Cars Magazine Forum

What size styrene to use?

In order to lengthen a truck chassis or help reinforce one what strip/ channel size styrene do you guys use? I am looking at the evergreen branded styrene, but there is so many to chose from (online) and I am unsure what size would be best.

Thanks for your help.

I forget what I used one this one, but there is a build thread here on it that I think I mentioned what I used. 

I do know that for added strength, I added some square tubing on top of the frame to also serve as a mount for the sleeper. It will be a little better to see in the WIP pics in the thread, but if you look closely at the pic above, you can see how under the cab the frame gets thicker under the sleeper and to just behind the sleeper. This has held up well, most of the time the build has been mocked up, minus a couple years being packed in a box thanks to life, the sleeper sits on the frame, and the almost 3 years that it has been not packed away the frame has no sag. 

If you aren't doing a big sleeper and just a stretched frame, you could used some metal strips inside the frame extension for the added strength and hidden in the frame rails.  

Message this seller. Ask him if has any or can make up a set of frame rails for ya. I use his pieces to stretch my frames. He sells 24 inch long frame rails, I cut off what I need. He has them listed ebay sometimes, right now doesnt. Just message him 1/25 frame rails. This a link to one of his listings to contact him through.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/MODEL-TRUCK-SCALE-8-CURVED-STACKS-WITH-ELBOWS-PETERBILT-KENWORTH-FREIGHTLINER-/222067005239?nav=SEARCH