Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any tips or ideas on a GMC conversion?

I've pretty much given up on the idea of finding one of Shawn Carpenter's 55-57 GMC conversions for AMTs Chevy truck. I am thinking about tackling one myself, but my scratchbuilding skills are moderate at best. Has anyone done this, or have any ideas on how it might be done. I think it would mostly be a new hood and grille. I could probably find the tailgate on one of MPCs old GMC kits. 

The main differences will be the hood, grille, radiator core support, engine, dashboard, rear axle, and tailgate. The engine, if your going V8, and rear axle will be the easy part. The V8s were Pontiacs, so that will be pretty easy to get from just about any Pontiac kit. The rear axle for most '55-'59 1/2 ton GMCs is the Spicer 45 (some did use the Eaton built HO 33 that was used in Chevrolets). The Spicer 45 can be found in several kits, the AMT '53 F-100, Revell '56 F-100, and the AMT '49 Mercury. If you do a Canadian GMC, then you could keep the drivetrain and dashboard Chevrolet.