Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chris....its inflation...kits have gone up in price a lot over the past 10 to 20 years but some have gotten much more detailed as well.  Out of production or old kits have always been more depending on what your looking for...that is one reason I trade with others...sometimes its the only way to get what I am looking for or need.  I do the same with old/new parts for my restorations or projects.

Depends on what you are looking for. Not sure how long you were gone from the hobby but the price of kits has risen over the last 10 years considerably. If you shop around, you can find deals and ways to save money on kits.

1. Hobby Lobby has a 40% off coupon that helps bring the cost of a kit down.There are stores in Kannapolis and Salisbury.

2. Local hobby shows and swap meets are a good way to find kits at good prices, along with some older out of production kits. There is a great show coming up in August in Clemmons NC that will have a great variety of kits for sale along with some nice models on display.

3.Internet sellers. Places like Modelroundup, Tower Hobbies, Megahobby, and others have sales and special offers that can get you models and supplies delivered to your door. eBay is another avenue, just be careful to not get caught up in a bidding war and pay too much for a kit.

4.Trading with forum members here. If you have something someone else is looking for, you can make a trade and get rid of a kit and get one you want!

Searching around at thrift shops and yard sales is also another way to find bargains.

I remember when kits were $1.50 to $2.00 and I thought that was outrageous.

Of course costs of production keep going up.  Remember to add shipping costs to any online price.

Some hobby shop chains (Hobbytown, etc.) offer free delivery to their local store for online orders.

If you have one in your area, a flea market is also a good place to find kits. Even if it's a kit I'm not interested in I will usually buy to use for trading fodder. With the number of members here you can usually find someone who wants the kit and is willing to trade for something you want.

Thanks guys just what I thought, hey Mike sounds like you live close to me where are you located. Like I said I'm in Rockwell.

Chris,

I live in South Charlotte. I used to cover the whole state of NC in a previous job but now I am just in the metro market of Charlotte. Next February there will be a great swap meet in Salisbury, lots of models to choose from!