Model Cars Magazine Forum

Basically Box Stock Slingster

gasser59

The Straight Line Modelers are doing an out of box build challenge with the only allowed changes being wheels, tires, paint and decals. I decided to do the Slingster since it has alot of build options and it was nearly the only kit in my stash that hadn't been robbed of enough parts to build something worthwhile. The deadline is next weekend so I need to get the decals made up and off to the printer so they'll be back in time. Still a few minor things to do yet besides the decals.

Sorry for the picture quality, my phone doesn't take the best pictures.

Well, the driver wouldn't fit and still have a steering wheel so he had to go. Have to have a steering wheel. Found some other decals I had and put them on.  At this point, I'm calling it done.

Thanks for following along.

wow, Brad...that's very nice as a stock box build....intend to do mine box stock too.....hey, Brad, 2 questions....what yellow spray is on your piece,,,and, does the driver not fit in ANY version if you use the steering wheel, I ask because I did intend to use my driver....any thoughts appreciated......great work, the Ace....:)

Thanks Randy. It was a fun and quick build. Kit had a few issues like the steering arm hits the exhaust and the two firewalls were supposed to be glued to the outside of each of the bodies. It took a bit of sanding but I didn't want the seams to show.

Thanks ACE. The color is Tamiya Camel Yellow. I really like this color and will use it again on something else. I suppose I could have tried a smaller steering wheel so the driver would have worked but I had to keep it box stock for the Builder's Challenge. Once the driver was assembled, it was tough to get him in between the frame rails, over the differential and around the brake handler and reservoir. By painting him with acrylic paint, it kept scratching off. I finally had had enough.

Thanks Randy. It was a fun and quick build. Kit had a few issues like the steering arm hits the exhaust and the two firewalls were supposed to be glued to the outside of each of the bodies. It took a bit of sanding but I didn't want the seams to show.

Thanks ACE. The color is Tamiya Camel Yellow. I really like this color and will use it again on something else. I suppose I could have tried a smaller steering wheel so the driver would have worked but I had to keep it box stock for the Builder's Challenge. Once the driver was assembled, it was tough to get him in between the frame rails, over the differential and around the brake handler and reservoir. By painting him with acrylic paint, it kept scratching off. I finally had had enough.

well, Brad,,,if the driver had a bad attitude and just didn't fit in, guess he'd just have to become a spectator...lol.....:lol:....the Ace....

One of the other things I changed was I added two frame pieces as indicated in the photo. The frame came up at a weird angle for building a different version of the kit and it just looked too funny ending so abruptly that I had to fix it. I used a stretched rollbar piece from the kit for a different build selection so it DID come in the box.

• 2 weeks later...

Quite Nice. Any other problems with the Slingster?

No other problems noted with the Slingster. As you know, this kits has other buyuild options so I can't speak for those but if they go together anything like the Slingster, should be without problems.

Thanks for the comments guys.