Model Cars Magazine Forum

'33 Chrysler phaeton

wayne swayze

Well, after seeing a couple others here interested in the old classics, I dug this outa' the stash. Started a number of years ago, but didn't get too far. It screams for whitewalls, but I would mess them up for sure. Then yesterday, I spotted the AMT  '32 Chrysler at Dave's Hobby and grabbed it! Turns out that it has whitewall inserts, but the '33 rims fit! This looks sooo nice mocked up! Think I might move this to the front of the pile. Thanks for the inspiration guys!         

20160727_131047.jpg

I would like to paint it 2-tone, but haven't decided what colours. It really should have a sophisticated finish IMO . I looked this car up on google, but nothing jumped out colour wise. This car has a very imposing look, even in scale! Thanks for your interest!  

I agree, a car like that looks much better in darker, richer colors. May I suggest a dark maroon or blue body with black fenders, striping, and top. And maybe a dark brown or black interior? Just making a suggestion for you.

On the television show Chasing Classic Cars Wayne sold a '32 Chrysler roadster that was a two tone red, and the two Testors reds would be a very close match with the body being the bright red and the fenders and body reveals being the dark (almost burgundy) red.

I built a '32 Ford coupe years ago as a color suggestion for a customer I had in my body shop (we were restoring his 1930 Packard Town Car) and I was wanting to do it in a Maroon body with black fenders and the Testors Dark Red spray enamel was a perfect match for the maroon I wanted to use. Unfortunately for me he decided on a dark charcoal for the body and black fenders.

Edited by horsepower

• 2 weeks later...

I may be wrong but I'm betting that the 32 hubcaps will fit over the 33 wheels. Then there is the better under hood detail of the 32. While your at it...posable front wheels...possibilities are endless. Might I suggest two-tone blue dark with sort of a dark tan or maroon upholstery?