Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC '78 Chevy Stepside , Dec. 4, almost done.

If you have the time could you post some details on your headlight castings. I've been experimenting with different molds but just can't get them right, they look too toy like.  Yours look have the look I'm trying to get.  

Hi Fred, My technique is pretty simple. I take any old headlight I want copies of and place it face down 

Then take a peice of aluminum foil and place it shiny side down over the headlight

Press the foil down onto the light. I use a soft pencil eraser to help get all the detail into the foil I can. Do this several times and get a bunch of good foil copies done.

Flip the foil over, this is your mold for the lights. fill them up so they are just slightly rounded over with your resin and set aside to harden.

After they're hard you can trim off the excess foil and resin and use them as is, the foil makes the reflector. or you can peal the foil off and use them as any regular clear lens.

IMG 1753

I love that truck. Those old MPC late '70's/Early '8's Chevies are very scarce. I was able to restore a '78 a couple of years back, and I was able to get my hands on an unbuilt '78, and an '80. I want to do a '80 Fleetside 2wd one day, but these kits are too valuable to cut up. I'll figure something out. I picked up a set of Fireball Resins' excellent 6-Lug Rally wheels for an '84.

Im working on finding the right parts to convert the 84 jimmy to a 2wd truck... without sacrificing an original issue kit...

Im working on finding the right parts to convert the 84 jimmy to a 2wd truck... without sacrificing an original issue kit...

As I understand it, the mid '60s trucks' front suspension was almost identical to these trucks ,, probably the '88 up generation too.  So. one of the Revell '64/'65 trucks front suspension should be good and the whole chassis from an AMT '88 up short box should be really good for this too. 

Edited by Can-Con

As I understand it, the mid '60s trucks' front suspension was almost identical to these trucks ,, probably the '88 up generation too.  So. one of the Revell '64/'65 trucks front suspension should be good and the whole chassis from an AMT '88 up short box should be really got for this too. 

Thanks ill check it out...

Hi Fred, My technique is pretty simple. I take any old headlight I want copies of and place it face down 

Then take a peice of aluminum foil and place it shiny side down over the headlight

Press the foil down onto the light. I use a soft pencil eraser to help get all the detail into the foil I can. Do this several times and get a bunch of good foil copies done.

Flip the foil over, this is your mold for the lights. fill them up so they are just slightly rounded over with your resin and set aside to harden.

After they're hard you can trim off the excess foil and resin and use them as is, the foil makes the reflector. or you can peal the foil off and use them as any regular clear lens.

IMG 1753

Thanks, I was trying to make it much more complicated. Really appreciate you sharing this..

As I understand it, the mid '60s trucks' front suspension was almost identical to these trucks ,, probably the '88 up generation too.  So. one of the Revell '64/'65 trucks front suspension should be good and the whole chassis from an AMT '88 up short box should be really good for this too. 

The basic suspension is the same on 2wd GM trucks from '63-'87, plus up to '91 for Suburban and some models of 1 ton. The '88 and up are completely different.

The basic suspension is the same on 2wd GM trucks from '63-'87, plus up to '91 for Suburban and some models of 1 ton. The '88 and up are completely different.

Ok, good to know.

I'll still be using the '88 up pickups as chassis donors for the older trucks if I can get them though. Such nice suspension and engines, makes nice street trucks.

• 4 weeks later...