Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint tips 1998 Jeff Gordon Monte

JerseeJerry55

Since there seems to be a bunch of crickets in the room and I do not know the answer I can help point you in the right way. If you are not aware there is a site mostly dedicated to NASCAR models Randy Ayers Nascar Forum. The forum is very helpful when it comes to finding answers such as the questions you have asked and there are many Gordon fans over there as well and I know you can get the answers you are looking for there.

Good luck,

Robyn

I was going to suggest Randy Ayers site as well.  Lots of good Nascar modeling tips and info there.  As for a 1998 Gordon car, I would recommend using either Tamiya Metallic Blue (not Light or Mica, just the regular Metallic Blue) or Duplicolor Ultramarine Blue.  Either of those seem to match well.  As for the fluorescent portions, a lot of folks suggest using fluorescent red.  I recall seeing that car in real life, and I have to respectfully disagree.  Fluorescent red is what was used on the STP Petty cars.  The Dupont scheme was definitely more orange, but not a straight fluorescent orange like the Tide cars. I have used a Testors Model Master r, I believe it is called fluorescent red-orange.  That seems to be a dead ringer for the actual color.  You may want to consider some aftermarket decals as well, as I recall the kit ones were not very accurate on some of the colors (the numbers were a regular yellow, while the real car (and Slixx decal sheets) had the numbers as a fluorescent yellow).  All this being said, I am by no means an expert.  Just suggesting what has worked for me.  This car just always stood out for its paint scheme, and when done correctly, it can be a real eye catcher.  Good luck.

Jeff