Model Cars Magazine Forum

My First Vinyl... 69 Cougar

Kmb0319

This kit wasn't in my stash, but an $8 clearance find at Hobby Lobby was too good to pass up, and I always liked the Cougar.  I wasn't sure what to do with it..  most of the Cougars around my neighborhood that I saw as a high-schooler in the mid-late 80s were either half primer with the rear jacked up and Cragars or base models with hubcaps and whitewalls.

Without a real inspiration, I decided to try something different.  I hadn't ever tried a vinyl top... partially out of fear or messing it up, partially because I never wanted to take the biggest surface of a body and make it flat.  But, time to try it.  With a Vinyl roof, I didn't use the spoilers or hood scoop... I guess it's more of an XR-7.

Ended up leaving everything box stock here... used my cans of Mercedes B396 blue and clear for the body, after my top was painted, i had a little regret... should've used white instead of black... but it's OK.  I wish most of these AMT kits had better interior detail, but overall, I really enjoyed this build.  Hope you like it.

69_Cougar_2.thumb.jpg.b03b22fc7281d6bcd1

69_Cougar_6.thumb.jpg.8324dbb188329c546f

69_Cougar_3.thumb.JPG.46cf1d417f0a1148af

69_Cougar_5.thumb.jpg.ffc29a2e8142d268e5

69_Cougar_1.thumb.jpg.b7e0a32d714e11600b

69_Cougar_4.thumb.jpg.df047085264124bf46