Model Cars Magazine Forum

How to rust a truck like showed?

Hello, after around 3 or 4 years im starting to get back into modeling and over the past 3 or 4 years that i was "in-active" in the hobby i kinda started a small collection of around 10 or so models i'd really like to do here in the near future and i seen this truck someone did on the 78-ish GMC plow truck, and i REALLY REALLY like how they did the rust on this truck specifically how to rust kinda "creeps" or whatever down the body. Please, i have most basic tools, like a dremel , but nothing like a air brush or anything., hell, i don't even have one of those cutting mat things. So i defiantly aint got an airbrush, but if CHEAP, it may be possible. Trying to treat my new baby good, (1980 Chevrolet Custom Deluxe) so money is kinda tight. as i made a promise to myself that i have to finish all of the models i have now before i get the one that looks like my truck. Thanks in advance, Garrison.

pic158823-1476458638.jpg

pic158823-1476458552.jpg

Edited by Illusionizt

You can use the Dremel with a small round grinding head to thin out the plastic and create "rust holes" from the back side of the body. You don't really need an airbrush for the rust, you could just brush paint it on and sort of "feather" the edges with the brush almost dry. Sometimes the paint will flake off and leave hard edges, so making the rusted edges soft wouldn't even be necessary. Do a google search and look at what real rust on trucks looks like.

http://www.customdakotas.com/forums/body-work-forum/15637-wheel-well-rust-advice.html

There is a paint fade at the bottom that was probably done with an air brush .. and it shows it. There is little evenness to rust and weathering. This is just as easy to do with a spray can.

The rust is as Harry says. Applying by hand is the best way to do it. Use various colors of rust and just put it on as nature does. Heavy at local holes and thinned like water to let run down like rain. Be sloppy! I faded the roof by a light rub with thinner a few hours after painting the body and very light over the rest of the body to fade it all over. No air brush was used anywhere.

This is a truck I did just as I described.

55ChevyCameo_HeadLight.jpg

Edited by Foxer

There is a paint fade at the bottom that was probably done with an air brush .. and it shows it. There is little evenness to rust and weathering. This is just as easy to do with a spray can.

The rust is as Harry says. Applying by hand is the best way to do it. Use various colors of rust and just put it on as nature does. Heavy at local holes and thinned like water to let run down like rain. Be sloppy! I faded the roof by a light rub with thinner a few hours after painting the body and very light over the rest of the body to fade it all over. No air brush was used anywhere.

This is a truck I did just as I described.

55ChevyCameo_HeadLight.jpg

What colors of rust would be closest to replicate the two trucks above? and where could i find them? By the way i checked out the full link of your truck, and that has to be one of the best looking and most realistic model truck I've ever seen. cheers to that. thanks again.

That seems like a truck that doesn't get out much anymore. Rust is dark ... it's the fresh stuff that's a light color. I use anything that says Rust and various browns. Add a couple colors and a black wash.

The nice thing is you can't do anything wrong. If you don't like a color paint over with another or wash off with solvent. Mother Nature constantly changes rust.