Model Cars Magazine Forum

FrankenGoat - making something DECENT out of the MPC 72 GTO

Kmb0319

Seems like a quick and fairly convincing fix to an issue that has unfortunately labelled this kit as "junk" in the eyes of too many. Proof yet again that the skill and determination of the builder is the key to making the best of things. Bemoaning inaccuracies almost to the point of "beating  a dead horse" is not conducive to building skillsets that will enable us to overcome less-than-optimal kits. 

Really nice work!  I am interested to know what clear glue you ended up using for the gauges on the dashboard?  

just Testors clear cement... I use it on glass, body trim, and to make gauges and headlights on those AMT/MPC kits that just have them molded in... like this one, actually. ?

Well, I was travelling for work from Sun-Friday of this past week, so I didn't have a chance to do much, but when I got home, I took on a couple more tasks, including the "make or break" of this build.  First, I got my seatbelts painted and installed the headrests on my front seats, and found a better shifter in my parts box to install.  I was going to get the whole interior together, but then looked at my steering wheel, and wanted to add a critical detail that this kit doesn't include; the turn signal stalk.  It wasn't the greatest fix, but when I looked at reference pics, the 72 GTO had a fatter handle at the end of the stalk... it almost looked like a shift knob.  The night before I left town, I bought a dress shirt on sale...  which, of course, was filled with pins.  

So, I took one of the pins and chopped it down...

72_GTO_10.thumb.jpg.592f10a284db42e656a7   72_GTO_9.thumb.jpg.edbb427496f19b0f485f7

And viola!  Instant turn signal stalk!  I painted it after I took the picture.

72_GTO_11.thumb.jpg.d41171560ef74d8e9fd0

Then, I finally decided to try the rear bumper.  I glued the right side of the bumper in first, and let that dry.  Then I stretched the left side out and glued it.  I still need to run a little glue across the trunk so that it stays in contact with the bumper and solidifies the whole assembly.  The gaps are a little scary looking, but it won't be too terrible when the body and frame are joined and there's darkness in those spaces.  It's a little uneven, but it looks better and it didn't cost me $65 or more to fix it.  

72_GTO_12.thumb.jpg.2bdbf4b8ed8b83857a60

72_GTO_13.thumb.jpg.2023198c8b93b6362f03

Unfortunately, I did end up getting a glop of glue on my trunk, and more ran out of the left side of the bumper onto the rear fender.  I wiped it away on the fender, leaving a dull spot that I can get some more clear over, but didn't see the trunk, so I think I'm just stuck with the blemish.

I will get the interior together and post that.  Then I've got to order the Revell Pontiac engine and probably some of the BFG Radial T/As from Fireball Modelworks.  When I used those once before, the opening in the center of the tire was slightly larger... I wanted to use them on my Revell 72 442, but the wheels just fell through the opening, so I had to use the AMT Goodyear Polyglas GTs that are on this.  But on this kit, my aftermarket Pontiac wheels are a little bigger than the wheel opening, so the lip doesn't "set" down into the tire.  I think the Radial T/As would allow the wheel to sit more flush and look better.

More to come.

Not much new progress...  but a few pics.  I've completed the interior, except for maybe a detail here and there.  I cut little pieces of screen and glued them on to make the vent on the top of the dash and speaker grills... not perfect, but something.  The only thing I might do is paint in the gaps with flat black to give a little more contrast.

72_GTO_14.thumb.jpg.e58b0ec29ebaf7d656e1

I see the thread of the left "speaker" popping up... I'll get that glued down.  

I still have to purchase that Revell 421 engine and the Fireball BFG tires, so I'm at a bit of a standstill, but I did do the same mock-up to see how the trunk gaps and the overall bumper placement look.  It's not 100% even... the right side sticks out slightly, while the left is almost totally flush, but I'm actually really happy with the overall fitment. Obviously, the trunk gaps are a little glaring, but outside of spending $70 or more on an older version of a crappy kit so the bumper fits, this isn't too bad.  I think if I can really get the engine detailed up, I'll be really happy with it in the end.

72_GTO_15.thumb.jpg.79bf36c4f024d8b99088

72_GTO_16.thumb.jpg.426040553ba1974b3dcb

• 4 months later...

Yeah!?!  I was wondering about this one

just like a month ago!!

David S.

Finally.... YES!!! Thanks for following along. Progress was very slow, and this sat for a few months without the engine, as time and $ were tight. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to spring for the tires yet, but I got the Revell engine.  It's interesting... the block, oil pan, water pump and cylinder heads are correct Pontiac pieces, but as this is a mid-60s 421, the carbs/intake setup is a tri-power, the valve covers aren't correct for this 455 and there is a bell housing but no transmission.   Well, I called this build Frankengoat for a reason, and this engine is the epitome of the name.  Here is what I used to try and get the right look according to my study of reference pictures:

-  aforementioned engine base:  Revell Pontiac 421 kit

-  Valve covers, intake, carb and air cleaner:  AMT 69 Chevelle SS 396

-  Morgan Automotive pre-wired distributor 

-  Fram oil filter from a Revell Hemi

-  Parts box starter, ignition coil and radiator hose

-  The fan belt assembly with alternator and a/c is from the Revell 65 Impala, as is the battery, a/c hoses/box and master cylinder 

-  The AMT 69 442 that donated its chassis also donated its firewall, but it had to be trimmed to allow the body and chassis to fit together properly.  In the end, it also donated its transmission...  in the pic below, I had used the 4-speed from the Revell 72 Hurst Olds kit, but it was too large for the transmission tunnel, so the unit that went with the donor chassis replaced it.  Lastly, I cut the front cover area of the engine compartment out of the Cutlass' body and glued it into the GTO.

-  The Radiator and shroud are from a Monogram NASCAR kit, with the race oil cooler cut off

-  The fan and exhaust headers are actually the ones from the GTO kit.  The Revell 421 headers were too big and long... on one side, the exhaust pipe isn't long enough to reach the header, but I'll have to live with it.  I also cut the feeder tube from the Cutlass that runs from the header up to the air cleaner and attached it.

I added wires from the washer bottle to the wiper motor, battery cables, ran a brake line and a vacuum hose off of the master cylinder and matched other hoses to the reference pics.  I also bent a piece of wire and made an oil dipstick.  Imight add one more from the air cleaner snorkel to the carb, but other than that, my engine bay is done.  It's not perfect, but far more passable than the complete lack of detail in this kit.  I wanted to get carb linkage and other details, but I recently lost my job, so I'll just go with what I have for this one. I will look through my spare decals for an under hood marking or two as necessary. The only other thing I will definitely get along with the tires is the Keith Marks decal set, which includes the 455 decal for the air cleaner.  Once I apply that, I'll hit the air cleaner with a gloss coat, as these weren't flat black.

Once the engine bay was done, I got the body and chassis together and added the front valence.  I have touch ups to the chrome, exhaust tips, an antenna, tires and decals, and this thing will be finished at last!  Then I'll put it in a case and take it to my buddy.  I'll have a couple more updates soon and then I'll get it Under Glass.  Sorry it's taken so long... thanks for following along.

Here is the engine before the transmission swap:

IMG_0438.thumb.JPG.52954e82707f7718f3fb3

And the full engine bay together:

IMG_0444.thumb.JPG.cbffe1af82d6e04919525

More to come... hopefully soon!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Kevin.   Wondering if you have been able to finish this kit off?   Also, was wondering what you used for the radiator core support and the cover in front of same?  Looks like same cover/part that Sports Suburban used on his '70 GTO convertible.  http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/115427-70-gto-judge-convertible/

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/7/2017 at 5:09 PM, drifterdon said:

Hey Kevin.   Wondering if you have been able to finish this kit off?   Also, was wondering what you used for the radiator core support and the cover in front of same?  Looks like same cover/part that Sports Suburban used on his '70 GTO convertible.  http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/115427-70-gto-judge-convertible/

I cut mine out of the AMT 69 442/Hurst kit, which is also the chassis I used.  The kit has been stated in a couple threads as a good replacement chassis, so the core support is about the right size.