Model Cars Magazine Forum

Boy, this is gonna make Nick mad...

Ken

The cars right now are stored over at a friend's commercial property about 20 mins or so from my house. Nick, if you are serious, start with craigslist and then go from there. I will keep my eye out for more, if for nothing else than parts for mine. :lol: I am sure that my car's previous owner would sell you one of the starlets. He told me the landcruiser was for sale for 1000$... it needs about 1500$ worth of work though. He sold the 58 ford a couple of weeks ago. I got all the other photogs at work keeping their eye out for celicas. :lol:

The cars right now are stored over at a friend's commercial property about 20 mins or so from my house. Nick, if you are serious, start with craigslist and then go from there. I will keep my eye out for more, if for nothing else than parts for mine. :D I am sure that my car's previous owner would sell you one of the starlets. He told me the landcruiser was for sale for 1000$... it needs about 1500$ worth of work though. He sold the 58 ford a couple of weeks ago. I got all the other photogs at work keeping their eye out for celicas. :lol:

:lol: thanks!

now the Landcruiser caught my attention, what year?? :P And the Starlets sound amazing but, where are you located? :lol:

:blink: thanks!

now the Landcruiser caught my attention, what year?? :lol: And the Starlets sound amazing but, where are you located? :)

The Landcruiser is one of the last straight sixes. The stump pulling engines. Unforunately, the previous owner ran it after the water pump went. He didn't seize the engine, but he cause a bit of damage to all the front accessories. As far as location, I am smack dab in the center of the country in the wonderful state of Oklahoma. I did get some more work done on the cars kind of. The accelerator linkage needed a few pieces that were not in the box. I searched high and low, went to all the autoparts stores around me, salvage yards, I even tried some local mechanics, no luck. Finally, I went to a VW repair place right down the street from me. They suggest a shop to go check. I walked in and showed the guy at the counter and he immediately knew what I needed. Five minutes later I walked out of the shop with the part. The intake manifold and carb are ready for installation. I hope to get it on sunday night. I though I might hook up some sort of gravity feed gas source and try to start the sucker sunday night. If I do, there will definitely be a video made of the start.

Oh MAN! YOU DON'T DO THAT!!!!! :mellow:<_<

Yeah those sixies are probably the most indestructible and torque ones out there and on Toyota's six, if your water pump goes out fix it don't run it some more!

Hey, it pays to know a guy that has owned these since my dad knew him, 70's and 80's, maybe 60's? I think, not sure ;):rolleyes: I think and worked with him, he's ALL Landcruisers with his sons mainly FJ40's and other FJ's and Toyota pickups, and I think that's where my dad caught the Toyota bug. :lol:

Ok, nevermind then! :rolleyes: It sounds like you're good in parts stores! :P

KEEP IT UP!! :unsure:

Edited by Nick F40

Okay, worked all day saturday on the roofing project. Went to a going away party for a co-worker that night. I got home really late 1 AM. About 3 AM, I hear... drip, drip, drip... Yup, roof had a leak. Got a bucket and went and for the leak. Got the bucket under it just as the floodgates opened. Unfortunately, it was raining cats and dogs outside and the plastic had blown off part of the roof. Needless to say I did not get much sleep on saturday night. That in course wiped me out for sunday. I did get the yard mowed and a couple of other things done, but I could not get up the energy and drive to go work on the car. Maybe later this week.

I haven't got much work done in the last couple of weeks. I have been too busy with work and house stuff. I did get shocks and a new clutch slave cylinder. Now I just have to get them installed. Next up will be a new master cylinder. The front struts are okay, but I will most likely cut some coils out of the springs. Right now, the stock ride height is almost truck-like. Eventually, the cut springs will be replaced with actual lowering springs. I have been keeping my eye out for a cheap MK1 MR2 or an early 80s corolla to steal suspension parts from. I did get the carb linkage all sorted out and fit the intake on to make sure the linkage would work and not bind. I will need a new manual choke cable as the old one is rusted solid. That is not that hard to find, luckily. So here is the update for now.

Weberinstalled.jpg

• 2 months later...

Okay, just like my smaller scale projects, this one has met a wall. Unfortunately or fortunately depending on how you look at it, that wall is another project!!!

I was sitting at home the other night, minding my own business, when one of my friends calls about a car he saw listed on Craigslist. Long story short, I saved this from the crusher the next morning...

supra1.jpg

For my 200$ I got an 87 N/A non-targa roof supra with a clean title. She has been pretty abused, but I think she has good bones. The front seats are not in too bad shape, considering the windows have been stuck down for a couple of months. The transmission is brand new with just a few thousand miles on it. The starter is dead. It appears that some one did not seat the bolts completely for the starter mount. One bolt loosened and fell out and the starter then torqued enough to crack the housing and the starter fell out. They keys are also missing so even if it had a starter I would have to hot wire it. Other than that, the motor looks like a twenty year old motor.

supra4.jpg

Okay, got the starter replaced and the ignition. Car turned over quick and everything sounded fine... except, no starting!!! I think the main culprit is no fuel in the tank. The next and known cuplrit is this...

plug4.jpg

This is the number six spark plug. All the plugs were under oil, a common problem with the 7M. The fix is simple, but I haven't done it yet. The plug wires are shot as well. So nothing new on the supra front till I get new plug wires and plugs. I will also need new valve cover gaskets and valve cover grommets. All told it is about 100$ in parts. Nice thing I learned in removing in the valve covers is that the head has to have been removed and worked on recently.

These engines are noted for blowing head gaskets at about 120K or so. I feared that this might be the cause of this car's demise. After seeing the cams and the valve valleys, I belive that the head gasket has blown and was recently replaced. This is what the cams look like. Remember, the odometer reads 197,000 plus miles.

Cam3.jpg

cam4.jpg

Went to the junkyard yesterday and they were running a special. All doors and fenders in the yard were 15 bucks!!! Needless to say I picked up a cherry passenger's door to replace my bent one. The passenger's fender on the one in the junkyard wasn't any better than mine so I did not bring that home. I also found a cressida with a 7M-GE motor and good plug wires, so I yanked those as well. 24$ and change for 100$ worth of parts. The plug wires were aftermarket 8MM wires and only ran me 6 bucks. Needless to say I am one happy camper. I have a line on a new front bumper and a better carpet.

Plan right now is to get the supra up and running and then resume work on the celica. That way I will have at least one running second car to ease the wife's concerns.

Well #1, glad to see you back at it, seriously watched this thread and glad it's back

#2 Give me your friends number! :D

#3 you suck, Supra? heck yeah, good runner and I always loved those styles and I could have got one, a guy was sellling one near my uncle and I see some for sale around here and the great Craigslist and you are lucky to have that and the Celica BUT I know where I can find a Celica Supra! :P

The 7M engines were the good ones, other than the oil fetish and I see you have it apart...a true Supra owner! :D

ITB IT!!!! No turbo :o

I wish I had the money for ITBs. They are not readily available and would need to be custom made :P I did find another supra 5 speed non-turbo in my area for 500$ Unfortunately, it has a blown head gasket. Not a hard fix, but more money that I don't have. I am getting a new front bumper and carpet tomorrow night for 10$!!!! I picked up the valve cover gaskets this morning. The grommets(little rubber thingies that go under the valve cover bolts) are 4$ a piece and I need twelve! The celicas haven't met a wall completely. I have been slowly stripping the parts car of what I will need and anything else useable. Work on the white celica has stopped. I am hoping to get it towed to my house shortly as soon as I finish the roof(yes, I am still slowly working on the roof) I need to have a spot in the backyard to store it and it needs to look presentable for the wife. No 'redneck car on blocks' syndrome for the wife in this yard :P;) I did almost score a corolla GTS for the LSD rear and front struts. That kind of fell through. It may still happen. I will try to keep updating you as time allows Nick.

'Nother craigs list find. Celica 'pyramid' wheels, no center caps, three nearly new tires... 50$ Here is what they looked liked when I dragged 'em home today.

dirtywheel.jpg

After a little while with a wire wheel and my trusty drill. They cleaned up real well.

cleanwheel.jpg

I do not plan to keep them in this state. I would love to paint them a color. My problem is, what color?

'Nother craigs list find. Celica 'pyramid' wheels, no center caps, three nearly new tires... 50$ Here is what they looked liked when I dragged 'em home today.

dirtywheel.jpg

After a little while with a wire wheel and my trusty drill. They cleaned up real well.

cleanwheel.jpg

I do not plan to keep them in this state. I would love to paint them a color. My problem is, what color?

Do the inset parts to color match the body, polish the rest and clear!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay Nick, this is all for you... turn up the volume really, really loud!!!!

I took a mental health day at work and boy am I ever glad I did. First, my friend and I went to check out a gen 3 celica GT (RA64). Great car, no rust to speak of. The engine seemed to have a miss when we first heard it run. We took it for a test drive and everything seemed good. My friend bought it... 150$ Clean title, strong 22-RE, nice clutch. No real squawks to speak of. We drove it 30 miles or so getting it back. I think once he gets it titled, he will have a great little example of the breed.

The big news of the day... We worked on the supra a bit. I really thought that the fuel pump was bad. Using a diagnostic wire we jumpered the terminals. Fuel pump was okay. After 30mins or so of screwing around with it, it still would not start. So I started checking the plug wires. I pulled plug one and stuck in a decent plug and told him to start it. I did not see a spark, but I heard a clicking noise. After some searching, I discovered the source of the clicking... the coil wire was disconnected from the distributor. Hooked that baby back up and here is the result

th_00019D.jpg

Edited by Ken

• 3 weeks later...

Been wrenching on the supra, the celica is gonna have to wait. Between work, the roof and the supra, time has been tight. I did the other day sit down at the bench for a while. Due to Testors' new paint I was able to get a 350Z knocked out, but no pics so far. I even started on a second on the same day. This one is Fiery Orange with Blazing Black wheel centers. That idea came straight from Mr Nellis. Without delay, here is my newest model project a KPGC110. Scripts were bare metaled before the paint and then rubbed down and clear was applied after that. There has been no rubbing of the clear just yet. I may not do that and just leave this one as is. With further ado, PICS!!!

skyline1-1.jpg

And of course the always present helper Apollo!!!

skyline2-1.jpg

• 3 months later...

No update on the celica, but I did get the supra dragged home the other day. Figured out an idle problem that was bugging me. I also picked up this...

redsupra2.jpg

redsupra3.jpg

It was a 'drag it out of my parking lot or it is going to the crusher' type of deal. I couldn't let it die, so I had to save it. there is one small problem with it

enginebay2.jpg

It needs a head. Easy fix. 50$ for the head and 50$ for the gasket. Everything else is there. I have already picked up a new front bumper and fender. Got newer, better seats, the fronts in this one have some small tears in them. The 87 Supra is due to be titled and tagged in the next few weeks. Then an exhaust system and she will be on the road. I already have a line on a cat back off of a car that is being junked. The above car will be next. Once that is titled and tagged the celica will be back on the top of the list. I am still finding parts for it. I have a line on another 77 GT that has a good black interior to replace my busted up brown one. I hope to pick that up in the next month or so as well.

While bench time has been limited. Especially, with the tornados the past day or so, I am still working hard on the 'Death Race' entry. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Got a head for the 83 supra the other day. Price... FREEEEEE!!!!! right now it is torn down to check clearances and such. I don't think it will need any machine work. Still have to get a headgasket set. Biggest news... Bought another RA29 over the weekend. This one for the interior. Pretty much complete, most amazing, an unmolested center console. Best part is the color... The ever popular BLACK...

Got the center console out. Once cleaned up it should look really nice. The front seats are toast as is the carpet. I will have to be very careful with most of the vinyl as it is very, very tender. I ripped the drivers side door panel in my excitement. So I will have to be careful with the rest. Seems as there may be a whole car left once I am done with it. I was not able to get the hatch open, but judging by the condition of the back or the rear seats, it will be rusted. I believe that the rear hatch leaks something bad. The metal strip on the top of the rear seats is completely rusted through. That is okay as I am only interested in the seat coverings. I may be able to clean and use the rear carpet, but not the front. I plan to pick it up and tow it home tuesday night. The wife is working late and I also need to wait for them to move the cars along side the celica to get it moved. Anyrate, here are some pics

FRONT.jpg

As you can see, it is near impossible to even open the doors with the other cars this close. I don't know what the auctioneers were thinking when they parked them this close.

Other than surface rust this is the only cancer I could find on the body panels. I could not check the undercarriage... reference the above pic for the reason why..

RUST.jpg

A good set of shadows, anybody need some?

LOUVERS.jpg

Four stock rims, anybody need some, there might be a fifth, gotta get the hatch open

RIMS.jpg

The pillar vents are decent except for one, so I will have two small ones extra as I need a large one to complete my set. This is damaged one on the driver's side. Most of the paint has come off of them, but that is easy to fix.

DRIVERSVENTS.jpg

All in all, I think it is a solid car. I may part it out, I may try and sell it whole, most likely it will be a complete part out.