Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari F12 - a little something different

Kmb0319

I bought the Fujimi Ferrari F12 this summer.  Having seen some amazing builds of this kit, I couldn't wait to get started.  I also couldn't wait because this was to be my first Fujimi kit ever, my first use of photo-etch, and it looked like a really fantastic model.  So, what was I going to do with it?  I wanted to do something out of the... a different color combination (no red allowed), and make it look like some special limited edition.  I got an idea after a month or so of staring at the parts in the box.  I used to like the old Saleen Mustangs back in the 80s and 90s... and one of my favorite parts of them were the interiors.  My least favorite color is yellow... I can really like the right shade of yellow on a house, but when it comes to cars and clothing, yellow almost makes me angry.  Maybe I'm part vampire.  But, those Saleen Mustangs had a light gray interior with yellow accents here and there, and it just looked awesome to me.  So, I thought "what about a whole car based on that scheme?"

I wasn't too much of a fan of the wheels on the F12.. a bit too wide-spoked and flat for my taste, so I found a great set of Hobby Design wheels on ebay and bought them.  Other than that, I left the kit alone.  I used basic Testors Gray enamel, let it sit for a month and then used my automotive spray clear.  On the interior, I mixed two gray colors with yellow accents; my homage to Saleen, I guess.  I tried my best to flock the floor... not easy with the bottoms of the seats molded in.  

Everything fit together beautifully and is exquisitely molded, for the most part, but I did have some issues.  The ride height isn't good... it was sitting far too high.  I did the best i could to lower the front, especially, but all I could do is glue the wheels a little higher on the brake disc... not perfect, but helped some.  Using the aftermarket wheels was a bit of a problem, too.  But, my biggest problem, by far, were the doors.  I glued the hinges into the doors, but those only worked to have the door standing open.  The right door wasn't set right... the inner door piece sat too far forward, so if the door skin was attached properly, the door sat too far back.  I ended up breaking off the attachment pegs and the right window, and just super gluing the doors in.  It's far less perfect than I hoped, but it is a cool model.  Hope you like it.  Happy Holidays, everyone!

The engine is really nice in this kit, even though you don't see any of this when finished:

Ferrari_F12_4.thumb.jpg.8a4d8efdd5ca1395

Ferrari_F12_5.thumb.jpg.076f0380e5e7c9f2

My interior:

Ferrari_F12_2.thumb.jpg.25b99a57c1be179e

Ferrari_F12_7.thumb.jpg.263ea119eedbf052

And, all done:

Ferrari_F12_9.thumb.jpg.385edd025d41ba49

Ferrari_F12_11.thumb.jpg.fc1e8cf2139173f

Ferrari_F12_12.thumb.jpg.27311c0da8153f9

Ferrari_F12_13.thumb.jpg.e501ab42388b834