Model Cars Magazine Forum

1962 A/S Pontiac Catalina

MarkJ

I'm unsure about Pontiac '62 history but that black bubbletop is a dream.

I do know for sure that Pontiacs had great over the counter performance parts available.

Great work going on Mark!

Looking good.

Thanks , Michael for your interest in the build.

My bad, 2 coupes, 2 sedans.  But I found a blue, yellow, and 2 white bubble tops; but have not found one on a GM illustration.  

I'm not sure I am following you in why you are posting these pictures of different 62 Pontiacs? Please explain.

The GM bubbletop was about the best design statement of early 60's cars, my opinion.

Huge windshield with a small pillar and a sweeping rear glass.  Wonderful design.

Buick, Olds, Chevy and Pontiac and even Cadillac had the style.  They were all beauties in my opinion. 

....and then came some performance to the scene.

What a time.

Edited by 10thumbs

The GM bubbletop was about the best design statement of early 60's cars, my opinion.

Huge windshield with a small pillar and a sweeping rear glass.  Wonderful design.

Buick, Olds, Chevy and Pontiac and even Cadillac had the style.  They were all beauties in my opinion. 

....and then came some performance to the scene.

What a time.

Then the safety Nazis jumped in and effectively killed that type of styling. Now we have pillared everything ('cept for the super expensive stuff), and windshield pillars that are waaay too thick IMO.

Maybe someday engineering advances along with public tastes will one day bring back the true two and four door hardtops. At least they still make convertibles.............for now! :mellow:

Most of the pictures of this car show it with the front tires being white walls. The parts box whitewall tires I had just did not look right for this car so I knew I needed to turn the kit tires into white walls. I found a U-tube video that worked pretty good that uses label paper. I had to buy the circle cutter at my local art supply store because Hobby Lobby did not have it. I added the step where you seal the whitewall to the tire with dull coat lacquer.

Excellent tip about the whitewalls! I'll have to keep this in mind if ever I need to make homemade white or redlines. B)

Thanks , Bill. Its amazing how you can find about anything you need on U-tube. There's no way I could have painted white walls on these tires and made them crisp and clean.

I got the trim panels finished and my paint order came in today. The paint looks beautiful in the bottle. I just hope I can do it justice on the model. I haven't air brushed anything in about 8 years. its just so easy to use Tamiya rattle cans but they didn't have anything close enough to this color.

Great color, looking forward to seeing it on the body.

Me too, Mitch. I just hope I can get that metallic color to look right with the airbrush. I'm waiting on a part from Paasche to regulate the airflow on the brush. My compressor never came with a regulator which made it very hard to use.

Its been slow going. Its the usual amt model where nothing fits. You have to piece it together by removing plastic here and there. The exhaust are sandwiched between the frame and the lower floor of the car but there is no room for them. Also the engine cant go where they want you to put it because the headers will not fit to the exhausts. Usually on nascar models you make exhausts and discard the factory ones so its not an issue. Also when you put the wheels together you sandwich a hub in between the halves so the tires can roll. only trouble is you have to shim the hub or the tires will slop around because the hubs don't fit properly inside the wheel halves. It been a real hair puller outer. I'm hoping my airbrush valve gets here today so I can go back to painting for a while.

I got to play with the airbrush trying different trigger and needle valve settings. I final got a setting I liked and sprayed the firewall It came out very smooth. I'm just waiting for the wind to die down so I can paint the body , hood and grille. hopefully tomorrow,

GO ON TO PAGE 4

62donpafiwa1_zpszth2degk.jpg

Edited by MarkJ