Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another Ebay Comedy

And he grew up to work in the design department at GM. Probably designed the Pontiac "Aztec"?

Maybe,,maybe not. That's just how we built them back then. It was just pure fun and creativity. We built them the way we wanted to, the way they looked good to us, and if that required using all the parts in the box...so be it. Sometimes all the decals on the sheet as well. A lot of us had to mow a few lawns, do a few odd jobs or collect a cart full of soda bottles to be able to go the five and dime and buy one of these kits. If you were lucky a can and a few square bottles of Testor's PLA. Yes it was a blast, and there were no internet critics.

Maybe,,maybe not. That's just how we built them back then. It was just pure fun and creativity. We built them the way we wanted to, the way they looked good to us, and if that required using all the parts in the box...so be it. Sometimes all the decals on the sheet as well. A lot of us had to mow a few lawns, do a few odd jobs or collect a cart full of soda bottles to be able to go the five and dime and buy one of these kits. If you were lucky a can and a few square bottles of Testor's PLA. Yes it was a blast, and there were no internet critics.

Yeah, but you have to admit Ron, it's still funny to look at.

I realize that this is the way a lot of kids would have built this kit back in the day, but the point is not so much what was done to it, as it is that there's actually someone out there that thinks this thing is worth $76.00!

That's the most amusing part.

Or I should say, the most amusing part will be if he gets that much! ^_^

Steve

I'm always looking for 1/24 figures, so that's one of my frequent eBay searches. 

Recently came across 2 listings for the 2 different sets of Fujimi 1/24 Mechanics.  Both sets were out of the box, with no instructions, and the sprues in one set had been crudely hacked apart.  Price was $39.99 for the first set and a discount down to $39.98 for the hacked set. Whatta deal! 

$5.99 shipping on both, with no combined shipping. Yes, this is the infamous Parts Seller Who Shall Not Be Named - the guy who once threatened to sue this group for libel, slander, etc.

A quick eBay search turned up a bunch of those Fujimi figures, in the box, often still shrink-wrapped, for prices ranging from $7.18 up.  One seller offered the combined Fujimi Mechanics AND Drivers set for $14.95.  Like that poor Mercury in the OP, the listings from ol' PSWSNBN are fun to laugh at , but I'd never buy any of them.  His market must be brand-new model builders with no knowledge of kit prices who buy everything off eBay. I guess such people might exist.

Yeah, but you have to admit Ron, it's still funny to look at.

I realize that this is the way a lot of kids would have built this kit back in the day, but the point is not so much what was done to it, as it is that there's actually someone out there that thinks this thing is worth $76.00!

That's the most amusing part.

Or I should say, the most amusing part will be if he gets that much! ^_^

Steve

Yeah I agree. Having accomplished a few restos I tend to look through all the junk to see what's there and what could be done to turn these old built ups into something a bit more sensible. Like I posted earlier..it does have good potential, but not for that price!

I built my first model when I was 7. AMT 1957 Ford Fairlane molded in blue. 

I had just got my very first three kits for christmas. My mother knew I had being looking for model car kits for a long time and those were a no go at places where one could find a kit. Only airplanes appeared popular here. My uncle had a few kits built, but he had bought them years before in Rio de Janeiro. At the time, we lived in a small beach town called Balneário Camboriú. So, one of the times my mother went to a bigger town, she got all three car kits she found. A Monogram 1956 Bel Air, a Testors 1948 Ford and my favorite, the AMT '57 Ford.

When I got the '57 Ford kit on hand it was like having a gold bar, so happy I was. I asked my uncle who knew English, to circle on the instructions all the parts to build the car factory stock. That was the only way I would admit to build a kit. He did it for me. I only had a few paint bottles I got with the kits. Silver, white and black. 

Left the body in bare plastic, painted the trim silver (did a mess), used the white to paint seat inserts, and the black to paint the underside. 

Still have pictures of that car. Wish I still had the model. Maybe someday I find it. Have high hopes it's still inside one of the boxes of "old stuff" at my cousin's.