Model Cars Magazine Forum

Urethane clear question

Urethane clear coat question: Is there a clear that can be applied OVER 2 part urethane with no issues? The reason I ask is........I supplied a painted body for someone, cleared with the usual DuPont ChromaClear that I use. I let the body dry/gas out, etc. for 10-11 days before shipping. I wrapped the body in toilet tissue (loosely, but I did use quite a bit). I sent the body out Friday and it was received today (USPS Priority). However it seems that the heat had somehow managed the soften the clear, causing some imperfections in the clear where the tissue then "attached" itself to the clear!!!! The reciepient was able to wet sand the clear and remove the imperfections but would like to add a final ,thin coat of clear on top.

My question is, does anyone know what would be safe to use OVER the urethane?

It's the 1st time I've encountered this problem.

I have yet to find a type of clear that is safe to use over urethane clear. I tried lacquer one time and ended up starting over with a new body - it was that bad. I haven't tried acrylic, but I don't use acrylics for color or top coats because of their generally terrible finish.

• 8 months later...
Maybe, & I mean maybe Krylon Crystal Clear might work. It's a urethane itself & might work safely. But I don't know for sure.

:)

You can try to use "Lighting Clear" or "Speed Clear" from the ALSA Coatings Corporation on the Kustom Rides.com website where you can puchase small amounts instead of quarts. You can also try to purchase a used food dehydrator off of ebay and placeyour semi-dry bodies inside for a short time depending on the amount of coats, weather and the type of clear that you have used. Edited by Supreme Magnetic

I will answere with a question perhaps? Instead of doing another clear over it after he wet sanded it, could he maybe polish it up some using automotive polish like the liquid kind in the bottle? Just a thought. Jody

That would be my choice of solutions. I have used Krylon Crystal Clear many times, but only over lacquer or acrylic color coats. It forms fish eyes when used over other clears or anything too shiny.

Edited by Helipilot16

The issue is with the "re-coat window" using chrome clear...if you do not get all your clear laid down within the specified time (dictated by specific manufacturer) you will have to wait about a month for the urethane to be compltely cured for re-coats. Urethane is safe for use over urethane; and you can always use tamiya acrylic; as it won't "etch" the urethane...I do much work with urethane; and never have any issues doing intercoat clears; then decaling; then adding more clear. I don't know what your location is (temp & humidity); but perhaps you might try a "faster" clear. The faster the clear "flashes", The less time it has to etch undercoats; your paint dealer should be able to give you the specific re-coat window (if not on the can) for pre-packaged clears; and for any of the generics they sell as well....I have recently switched to Naison clears; and I think they are every bit as good as the chroma product (previously used concept 2000); but just don't carry the hefty price tag....I hope this helps............matt

Edited by monkeyclaw