Model Cars Magazine Forum

Another use for modeling clay

gtx6970

Stumbled onto this one last nite.

While working on the Dragula yesterday after dinner,,,, I was wondering how to hold the exhaust up in place while glue dries.  Testors takes to long to dry, not to mention I really didn't want to stand there holding a piece at a time while it dried ,hoping it was actually straight  and Superglue fogs the chrome finish . So,,,,,,,,

I had a box of modeling clay on the bench Ive been using to make foil impressions of emblems . and had this hair brained idea if this would work . and it does, In this pic you can see its holding up the exhaust, the headlights in place and the tail light bar in place. works like a charm ,,just don't bump it til everything sets up.

DSC00890.JPG

DSC00891.JPG

Is there any residue? If so, what do you use to remove it?

I don't see anything left behind now thats its done  But its all chrome parts so I cant comment if it would have create issues if parts were to be painted afterwards.

I basically balled up some clay and lightly pushed the car and exhaust stacks in place  to be held down to it. Rolled up a few smaller ones to 'smoosh'  under the lights to basically just hold them in place while glue dries

Stumbled onto this one last nite.

While working on the Dragula yesterday after dinner,,,, I was wondering how to hold the exhaust up in place while glue dries.  Testors takes to long to dry, not to mention I really didn't want to stand there holding a piece at a time while it dried ,hoping it was actually straight  and Superglue fogs the chrome finish . So,,,,,,,,

I had a box of modeling clay on the bench Ive been using to make foil impressions of emblems . and had this hair brained idea if this would work . and it does, In this pic you can see its holding up the exhaust, the headlights in place and the tail light bar in place. works like a charm ,,just don't bump it til everything sets up.

DSC00890.JPG

DSC00891.JPG

Great idea! I'd like to learn about the foil emblem impressions as well!