Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

1959 Cadillac Eldorado Hardtop

MBXPilot

Hey everybody! It's been quite a while since I've posted on here. I'm trying to get back into this side of the hobby, really excited about it actually. 

I picked up this Revell 1959 Cadillac to get me going again! Hopefully it'll turn out decently well. 

3/6/17 by Logan Abner, on Flickr

Starting with the engine, I think this is close to the correct shade of blue for the 390 V8. 

More to come soon! Thanks

I built one of these years ago when they first came out. I didnt have a single issue building the kit and as a matter of fact I detailed it out quite a bit and it was a dream to build. I dont remember any version of this kit being a vinyl top version. At least the first release one I had didnt. But there may have been something after it. But I got out of the hobby in the mid 90s for a while.

Revell describes the current issue (and likely other issues) as having a vinyl textured top. An odd mistake for them to make but....it's not too likely they would have removed it.

Perhaps that's where I got the idea it had one?

Anyway..I'm pleased to hear it doesn't  

A modified re-issue as a series 62 or a Coupe de Ville would be very nice to have.

• 3 weeks later...

The very first issue of this kit has the smooth roof as I have one, but the body is warped particularly the C pillars. The next issue IIRC, has the textured vinyl roof which would be correct for the Eldorado as that was an option in '59.

Everything's lookin' good so far Logan! I can only give you one tiny little tip..............don't forget to paint the headlight bezels body color! A lot of folks miss this detail in their buildups, and even the box art car missed it.

Keep up the good work! B)

Edited by MrObsessive

Bill makes a good point about the headlight bezels. Every '59 Caddy kit I can remember does the headlight area like that with the section moulded to the chrome piece instead of the fender though, including both Ghostbusters kits and the original JoHan kit and promo. That said, I have come across a couple pics of cars done as the kits do it but I don't think they came from the factory that way.

Here's a good pic illustrating just what he means. 

Related image