Model Cars Magazine Forum

Custom Paint Masks???

Anyone know where I can have some custom paint masks made?

Tks,

i really dont know bro

but the best paint mask i use is none

i spray outside in the sun and away from buildings

and to think that everyone cant figure out where i get the name ideas for my cars from

i really dont know bro

but the best paint mask i use is none

i spray outside in the sun and away from buildings

and to think that everyone cant figure out where i get the name ideas for my cars from

I think he is talking about for masking on the model car's not for your face. like stencels.

What LSM said. Any vinyl shop should be able to help you out. It probably won't be cheap unless you get lucky. Expect a minimum of 45-50 bucks as a general customer. Do as much design work as you can, at least a clean scanable rendering. The less work for the sign guy, the cheaper. The major sign and design programs can import the common drawing file types if you have access to such. The other factor is output. The paint mask vinyl is a little thick, not good for tiny model car compound shapes. They may have low grade vinyl with a less agressive adhesive or you might try to talk them into transferring their large masking tape onto the vinyl liner and cutting that, it can be done. The thinner, more expensive film tends to stick harder and could pull up your basecoat (been there), the vinyl coated for "temporary use" may not stick well enough.

What are you looking for, specifically?

Edited by samdiego

Two other do-it-yourself options are self-adhering tracing/masking paper and Artool's Ultra-Mask. Your local automotive paint store (NOT AUTO PARTS) should carry the paper and Coast Airbrush now carries something similar in varying widths. 6"x30' in clear or semi-transparent should work for models.

RBL Products is the one I have Part No. 371- Matte Finish and it comes in a 12"x24' roll. It is repositionable, low tack that will not leave a residue, conforms to curves and irregular surfaces, and best of all is solvent proof. You can draw right on it then cut it out with an x-acto.

Artool Ultra Mask is avail at Coast Airbrush

http://www.coastairbrush.com/categorypage.html

This is a tinted film and has many of the same properties as the paper above, but is stretchable. If you have a plotter/cutter you can run it through that as well.

Edited by Myles