Model Cars Magazine Forum

NAME THAT ENGINE......

Guest zebm1

Guest zebm1

Naming cars by its' skin is easy, now let us see how many real car crazy guys are in here!

Here's an easy one.....

P9090076.jpg

p9091009.jpg

Year, make and type.....

:D Actually Bill,it isa 69 z-28 with a cross ram intake but, its the HEADS that make it unique.There a VERY raer set of porkypine heads made to fit ona small block.They were a Smokey Yunick creation in conjunction with Chevy racing.only a few pairexsist like 3 or 4.Made of "unobtainium" :D;)

In line 12 cylinder monster. Maybe Packard?

"Maybe"???? Well you just "May-be" right, Ismael. It is the one and only inline 12-cylinder engine ever built--Packard, in 1930. Installed in a '29 Packard, it was driven until 1945 by Alvan MacCauley, President of Packard.

If a straight 8's virtue was "smooth" this one had to be as slick running as a wet otter on STP. It was a bit of an engineering nightmare though--in order to prevent excessive crankshaft twisting under acceleration, each main journal of the crankshaft was progressively larger in diameter than the ones in front of it, the rear main being over 3" in diameter.

Long? You bet it was--considering that the head of a Packard 110 6-cylinder is approximately 30" long, this 12 has to be at least 6 feet in length. I've seen one picture of the car, taken in the late 1930's (it was scrapped in 1945), and the hood looks to be nearly 8 feet long. Add to that the cowling, the seating position of the driver, and the length of the front bumper brackets--Mr MacCauley had to have had to plan on at least 15' of car out in front of his eyes!

Biscuitbuilder1

I knew there were no mainstream inline 12s, so it had to be special. I thought Packard but I also had Deusenberg in my mind. If any company could come up with something like that, those two (among a few others) could.

I knew there were no mainstream inline 12s, so it had to be special. I thought Packard but I also had Deusenberg in my mind. If any company could come up with something like that, those two (among a few others) could.

Except that Duesenberg NEVER built an automotive engine with more than 8 cylinders, and never a flathead engine with their name on it (although Augie Duesenberg did attempt to produce, on his own, circa 1940, a flathead inline 6 marine engine!).

Now, in boat racing, Augie Duesenberg, on his own in his race engine shop, did build a couple of W-24 engines for Horace Dodge Jr's Delphine, an unlimited hydroplane.

Biscuitbuilder

Ok Guys, here's a little harder one.....

ToddH1.jpg

ToddH20.jpg

Make, year and engine......

I will name this engine.....Patrick.

:rimshot:

Thanks folks, I'm here all week, tip your waitress and try the veal....and remember, the 9:00 show is much different than the 7:00 show!

Edited by Frank Steffens

Naming cars by its' skin is easy, now let us see how many real car

Are you sure about that! ;)

I know one thing, I know my W block engines and Cadillac and Buick engines and Ford 289s......apparently :blink:

Edited by Nick F40