Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mazda 787b Lemans Winner Orange/ Red Paint

Gidday,

I was just wondering what the actual orange/ red colour of the Mazda 787b Lemans winner is? In some pictures you could almost think it is like the Marlboro red(fluorescent red) used on the 1980's McLaren F1 cars, but in other pictures it looks more like fluorescent orange. The instructions say to use Tamiya bright orange, but from what I can tell, that is miles off the actual colour. Has anyone here actually seen the car in person?

I would just buy the Zero paints set for this model, however it is very expensive and I think it cannot be shipped to New Zealand.

thanks

• 3 weeks later...

I've bought a tin each of this and I'm going with it.  Both colors over a flat white base.  Humbrol enamel and airbrush.  I've never used it but I am very familiar with model enamels.  I trust them. The orange can be of opinion somewhat, but if you are painting the green, you have a sponsor decal to cut out to worry about blending.

Your best bet on getting the shade right is using your own opinion and testing paints and base colors using a piece of CHARGE original artwork with their colors printed, or using Tamiya box art.  They are accurate.  Since they are florescent colors, you have to be the judge because of its nature but you can get the tone close.

208.jpg

209.jpg

011.jpg

012.jpg