Model Cars Magazine Forum

LHD Gulf Seven

Scale-Master

• 5 months later...

I lucked in to finding this thread, and I am very glad I did. I have seen this model on FB Mark, but obviously only a few photos - and have always admired it greatly. But this thread shows all the phenomenal engineering craftwork that has gone in to the detail...simply stunning.

I am lucky enough to own the 'real thing' - us Caterham lot are usually rather dismissive of any body modifications, but I have to say that what you have done looks amazing in terms of 'styling' (not a word usually applied to 'caterham' lol) - I think the rear wings look waaaay better than the effort caterham made with their CSR model, and the fairing on the bonnet looks beautiful - even the nose looks fantastic!

I have got heavily into the 3D printing side of doing this, and it revolutionizes the hobby - but what I admire hugely is the metal work and machining you achieve on this scale - staggering. 

Off to look for more of your work!

cheers, angus

(caterhamnut)

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/1/2019 at 6:04 AM, caterhamnut said:

I lucked in to finding this thread, and I am very glad I did. I have seen this model on FB Mark, but obviously only a few photos - and have always admired it greatly. But this thread shows all the phenomenal engineering craftwork that has gone in to the detail...simply stunning.

I am lucky enough to own the 'real thing' - us Caterham lot are usually rather dismissive of any body modifications, but I have to say that what you have done looks amazing in terms of 'styling' (not a word usually applied to 'caterham' lol) - I think the rear wings look waaaay better than the effort caterham made with their CSR model, and the fairing on the bonnet looks beautiful - even the nose looks fantastic!

I have got heavily into the 3D printing side of doing this, and it revolutionizes the hobby - but what I admire hugely is the metal work and machining you achieve on this scale - staggering. 

Off to look for more of your work!

cheers, angus

(caterhamnut)

Thank you Angus!  Very kind words indeed!  

I readily admit that I do things to Seven models I don't think I would do on real ones, ( and I have firsthand experience with 1:1s).  While I try to stay in a realistic realm, I also enjoy building them in "very wrong" ways to the purists. 

I'll admit I was inspired by the S4 rear fenders, but wanted something softer and tied into a traditional Seven.  The nose was inspired by the early 60's Gurney Eagles and the fairing on the hood (bonnet) just seemed appropriate.

I too am deep into the 3D aspect of the hobby, but still enjoy old school metal working and machining.  (As you may have noticed on my Lola T-70 project...)