Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC release I'd like to see

Hello all

I got to thinking last night what old MPC model kits I would love to see in my local hobby haunts again is the 32/33 Chevrolet Roadster and Sedan Delivery. I would think these would sell really well for the "new" AMT. What do you guys think? I'm actually hopeing they possibly tool up a new kit of any 28 to 36 GM or Chrysler Roadster/Coupe. I think the fords are covered pretty well So come on AMT and Revell give us GM & Mopar guys something to rat rod. I can see a fenderless 34/35 Chevy coupe with a Buick Nailhead, white walls and some good old Roth stype metal flake paint :rolleyes:

Randy

:rolleyes: Randy,I think I read somewhere that the molds for the 33/34 panel van had been modified to make the junk "Barrabas Van"from the ol "Dark Shadows" TV show.We'll never see that again, but maybe on of the model co. could see fit to bring out some of the kits you mentioned. It would be nice. :angry:

B) Randy,I think I read somewhere that the molds for the 33/34 panel van had been modified to make the junk "Barrabas Van"from the ol "Dark Shadows" TV show.We'll never see that again, but maybe on of the model co. could see fit to bring out some of the kits you mentioned. It would be nice. :)

The roadster dies are still around, but the panel van was indeed ruined to make that hideous vampire van.

The roadster dies are still around, but the panel van was indeed ruined to make that hideous vampire van.

Except that MPC didn't make a '32 Chevy Roadster (only kits of that car have been the Hubley metal 1:20 scale, and a Pyro/Lifelike/Lindberg plastic kit in 32nd scale), but rather the much less desireable cabriolet (with rollup windows). Trouble prolly was that when MPC started on that project in 1964-65, '32 Chevy roadsters were almost non-existent--most Chevy clubs acknowledge that today only 7 originals are known to exist, due to their wooden body structures.

As for the panel delivery, even that one is not a Fisher body--rather it was modeled off one done by a custom aftermarket commercial body manufacturer, and yes, it was retooled into the body for Barnabas' van.

Biscuitbuilder

Except that MPC didn't make a '32 Chevy Roadster (only kits of that car have been the Hubley metal 1:20 scale, and a Pyro/Lifelike/Lindberg plastic kit in 32nd scale), but rather the much less desireable cabriolet (with rollup windows). Trouble prolly was that when MPC started on that project in 1964-65, '32 Chevy roadsters were almost non-existent--most Chevy clubs acknowledge that today only 7 originals are known to exist, due to their wooden body structures.

As for the panel delivery, even that one is not a Fisher body--rather it was modeled off one done by a custom aftermarket commercial body manufacturer, and yes, it was retooled into the body for Barnabas' van.

Biscuitbuilder

Old farts syndrom!!! :( They made a Chevy of some kind though. I got one in the closet somewhere. I guess I just used the other posters term for it. It was indeed a Cabriolet.

:lol: Florian, the reason the 33 van fits the Chevy cabriolet fenders is because they once were in the same kit!They were the kit Biscuit 's talkin about.Both parts wre IN the kit, but you only got enough parts to build ONE car.they kinda played ya,caz you couldn't build Both cars.Not like the AMT or Revell 2 in 1, where you could build 2 whole cars! :)

Guest zebm1

How 'bout a 1932 Chysler Coupe..... love this Radiator Shell.....

1929Chryslercoupe.jpg

1252.jpg

or maybe a 1928 Plymouth Coupe.....

1928Plymouthcoupe.jpg

Stock Business Coupe...

bb20061006-02.jpg

bb20061006-01.jpg

Sweet.... :)

Biscuitbuilder

You are right. It was a Cabriolet body style. I'd still buy a bunch of them. I had roadster on my mind from looking at a resin chevy raodster kit. I think it represents a 1928 or 1932 roadster. It is copied after a real roadster drag car from the sixties.

Wait a minute. I've gotten myself confused. I just found a MPC 1932 Chevy Roadster kit for sale. It shows a roadster with a fold down top. At least that is what MPC calls. I've been looking at a few old chevy diecast available also. Correct if I'm wrong but didnt the Cabriolets have full doors/window frames? with a material top?

Randy

HOW DO YOU GUYS KNOW SO MUCH ABOUT ALL OF THIS??!! WOW!! Which kits come with 2 different cars???!!! Could someone show me a pic of one?? Do they have any mopar 2 n' 1's?? I... MUST.... KNOW!!

The only one i realy know of that u could build 2 cars like george said was amts 25 t trophy series. U could build a stock roadster and a chopped t phonebooth coupe as a hot rod. i dont know if the other issues still had this option but i know they didnt contain the chopped coupe. As for mopar kits i wouldnt know of any right now but monogram 30 coupe is a great start for a conversion

:lol: Abe,That caz most of us ol farts HAD those kits!!There were ALOT of two in one kits back in the early to mid 60's.one of my favorites was a 29 Furd roadster an the Ala Kart.They had a 27 touring car with Tex Smiths XR-7 too.(another favorite),there were quite a few 2 in 1 kits,but as time went on, naturally the companys got greedy an they slowly faded from the scene.But once,yeah you could get two whole kits in one box for 2 bucks!!! :lol::lol:

Guest Gramps-xrds
The only one i realy know of that u could build 2 cars like george said was amts 25 t trophy series. U could build a stock roadster and a chopped t phonebooth coupe as a hot rod. i dont know if the other issues still had this option but i know they didnt contain the chopped coupe. As for mopar kits i wouldnt know of any right now but monogram 30 coupe is a great start for a conversion

There were 2 others that you could build 2 complete cars and they are Aurora's 23 T and the 34 ford 5 window coupe. :lol::lol::lol:

Wait a minute. I've gotten myself confused. I just found a MPC 1932 Chevy Roadster kit for sale. It shows a roadster with a fold down top. At least that is what MPC calls. I've been looking at a few old chevy diecast available also. Correct if I'm wrong but didnt the Cabriolets have full doors/window frames? with a material top?

Randy

The MPC model kit was the '32 Chevy Cabriolet, with folding B-post, fixed A posts and windshield (just exactly the same as the coupe. No roadster was ever done in 25th scale by MPC--only the smaller Pyro kit, and the larger Hubley/Gabriel/JLE Scale Models kit (metal).

Biscuitbuilder

Guest Gramps-xrds
There was also the AMT Double Dragster kit, the AMT 40 Willys coupe/32 Ford Sedan, & AMT's original issue of the MPC designed, (& later released as 2 separate cars), "Wilheim's Wonder" & "Tognotti's T set,as well as the Revell 2 car Tony Nancy 22 JR set. All of these contained 2 complete kits in them.

:lol:

There's 2 I'd forgotten about. The willys & sedan and tognotti's T. I should have remembered those I bought at least 2 or 3 of the 32 sedans (Still got the sedan bodies and prob the willys bodies and only one of Wilhem's and Tognotti's

A while back I dug through a lot of boxes to see if I could find enough pieces to build them back and I found all the parts for Wilheims but not all for the T. But one of these I'll be looking for something else and find them.

DSCF0633.jpg

DSCF0634.jpg

DSCF0635.jpg

Guest Gramps-xrds
Boy howdy, think I'd need a Dust mask in thet hobby room...be afraid I'd catch something.... :):D

:lol::lol::lol: The only thing you'd catch in there would be the building fever. :lol::D;)

Just thought of something so stupid but it might work. Amt has just been bought up right. This comapany is trying to bring back older kits that havent been seen for many years. So how about we find out were to write to and see if they are willing to redo a 33 panel? I mean you can still find them and its like a multi billion dollar comapny so i dont think maybe 100 dollars will put a dent in thier wallet? Any input on this idea.

:mellow: Florian, Get in line Bucko! ME an the ######'N got FIRST DIBS on Bills(Gramps) dusty ol models! We dun offered to clean em before he went on vacation, but he's gotten real accustomed to the dust, and he got cold feets about cleanin em.Sooooo, If it should happen,Me an the ######'n"l let you know,an we'll pick you up on the way there!Good way to get to see your Fleetliner too! :rolleyes::D

:lol: Florian, Get in line Bucko! ME an the ######'N got FIRST DIBS on Bills(Gramps) dusty ol models! We dun offered to clean em before he went on vacation, but he's gotten real accustomed to the dust, and he got cold feets about cleanin em.Sooooo, If it should happen,Me an the ######'n"l let you know,an we'll pick you up on the way there!Good way to get to see your Fleetliner too! :lol:;)

Hey i will make you a deal. If you pay for the gas i will pick you up in the gasser Well if all of us can fit into a 1/24 scaled car. :P:D:lol: