Model Cars Magazine Forum

any tips for making linkages

Are you talking throttle or Tranny? The few tranny likages i've done i've used thin wire and carefull bending. For throttle linkage I just use photo-etch as trying to cut those TINY pieces is near impossible (for me).

sorry bout that. i ment the throttle linkage. Since u use phot etch parts were di i get them. Is model car garage one of them?

• 2 weeks later...
Anyone here have some tips on making your own linkages. i want to make my own for one of my cars na need some tips.

The element from automotive tail light bulbs and signal light bulbs make great throttle return springs. Becareful when breaking the bulb open, as there is a vacuum inside, so the glass may fly. I put the bulb in a paper bag, sealed tight at the top, before breaking it.

Fellas, fellas, fellas................please don't go and break bulbs or some other such things for parts! :o You could injure yourself (Or someone else) just for a detail piece??

What I do for throttle detail springs is wrap the tiny strands from coax cable shielding around a #78 drill bit (or whatever looks in scale for what you're working on) and use that.

Here's a pic of a Jag D-Type engine I built years ago doing just that for springs...........

P7100002-vi.jpg

Here's a coupla more pics I dug up showing the uses for coax wire............look at the throttle return spring in the engine...........

P2260158-vi.jpg

........and a couple more showing how it can be used for brake cable shielding........

P1242115-vi.jpg

P1282154-vi.jpg

The brake cable shielding I used a larger dia. wire to wrap it around, but you get the idea............ :D

You can go to your local Radio Shack (or what have you) and ask for a scrap piece, cut away the insulation and there you have it--------bunches of strands of in scale wire for springs. Wrap it carefully around a drill bit of your choice and you've got a nice spring.

..............And it's mostly for free with no injuries! :blink:

Edited by MrObsessive

Here is one I just did for my 32 Ford with Weber Carbs. I used an RB Motion link and a small piece of SS tubing with Photo etched washers on either side of the RB Motion spirng. The second pictures shows the dual clevis' I used for the throttle link between the 2 banks of carbs.

ThrottleCable2-vi.jpg

Engine3-vi.jpg

Florian, when I make throttle return springs, or any small springs for that matter, I use some real thin armature wire I got out of an old electric mixer( I think). I use a real small needle, slip the wire into the hole in the needle, wind the wire twice around the needle and you won't have to hold the end. Then wind the spring as long as you need it. As for the the L shaped throttle, I use either flash from an old kit or some real thin plastic sheet. Drill your holes BEFORE you cut out the L shape( I learned the hard way.LOL) Paint it silver or another metallic color. Clean out the holes after you are done painting. I would post pics but , I don't have an online photo account and I haven't figured out how to post pics yet. Hope this helps Mageck

Bill Geary suggestion on using small wire is a good one . I have used the springs found in H O trains that comprise the couplers I have bought them in hobby shops that carry Atlas brand train parts as for wire, The brand I personally prefer is Radio Shacks Gold Motor winding wire usually you will find a package of three thickness Green , the lightest, Red, a medium and fine for spark plugs I might add, and Gold. This size is superb in making brake lines kids I hope this helps. Ed Shaver