Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ferrari F40 Cannonball

vwdave92

Building up Tamiya's Ferrari F40 for the Cannonball Run CB

It's a great kit and one of my favorite cars but clearly an older kit.  There are some details lacking in the engine bay that need to be added / fixed because of how visible everything becomes when the cover is opened.  I swapped out better turbos and build the shocks from wire, added the turbo cooling lines and will be building the exhaust from scratch.

IMG_5909.jpg

IMG_5891.jpg

IMG_5944.jpg

IMG_6012.jpg

well the build thread was started late so I'm playing a little catch up with posting.

Here is a quick shot of engine with finished rear suspension test fit into painted-but-not-detailed tub

then a couple of pictures of the process of opening the windows.  The kit has the slide open plexi windows while most cars went with crank down.  I wanted the crank down look so interior detail wouldn't be lost.

IMG_6044.jpg

IMG_6036.jpg

IMG_6040.jpg

OK I"m making good progress.  I start my new job on Tuesday so I have been trying to get as much done as possible.  The engine and bay are done and everything is mounted to the chassis plate.  The exhaust and intercoolers still need to go in.  I went with aftermarket turbos so I had to get to this point so I could fab up exhaust and cooler plumbing to match.  The other big challenge was how prominent the turbo plumbing, dif cooler, oil cooler and all the plumbing is when the cover is open.  Oh... and a full sheet of carbon kevlar fiber scattered through the interior and body panels.

IMG_6108.jpg

IMG_6110.jpg

IMG_6101.jpg

IMG_6105.jpg

IMG_6102.jpg

• 1 month later...

OK the interior is done.  All full sheet of Scale Motorsports kevlar is gone :).  As this is being built for the Cannonball Run 2017 CBP a few things were added; CB, laptop, stereo with video display, speakers in foot wells, fire bottle, belts and window crank handles.  

IMG_6313.JPG

IMG_6315.JPG

IMG_6316.JPG