Model Cars Magazine Forum

International Harvester Truck kit's ERTL's First Models.

11 hours ago, highway said:

You might be on to something there Anthony! I do remember from not only the 4070A but the Great Dane reefer I had as a kid, those wheels also had the fluted spacer molded in to the wheel, and digging through everything I have in my collection with a spoke wheel, none look as good as those ones. I even looked at an original Paystar logger and while the tractor has the 5 hole Budds as the dump truck and mixer versions, the trailer also had those Dayton wheels, but the newer reissue of the stand alone Peerless trailer has 5 hole Budds. As for if there were any difference in the hubs between the rear drives from the 4070A and the others and the trailer wheels, I don't know that because I have no drive wheels to compare the trailer wheels to, but if there isn't they have been around as recently as 2003 in the Great Dane extendable flatbed. 

20180214_205949.thumb.jpg.a0340979aa7def36f35cb05e13f93029.jpg

The single wheel is from my Paystar logger and the unopened sprue is from the Great Dane, and I noticed this was also a Stevens International release, so it may very well be possible they at least have the molds for the wheels. 

The only reason I didn't really think the Daytons were an issue is I really don't care for spoke wheels. Sure, they have their place for workhorses and I do use them for trailers or as drive wheels on trucks like a Mack R and in fact, I had to find a set of spoke wheels for my early 2000s reissue if the R model because it was the one that only included Alcoas and I wanted the Alcoas on the steers but spokes on the drives since it will be hauling a lowboy.

I'm not a fan of the AMT re-issues, however, the Ertl kits are a different story. I would really like to see R2 re-issue the IH S Series and if possible the 4270, assuming that it wasn't converted into the 4300. My guess is the 4270 was converted into the 4300, and it is either impossible to revert the tooling back into the 4270 or the cost of doing so is prohibitive. I know they both share many of the same parts and the biggest difference between them is the hood and sleeper, but the 4270 built into a better looking truck than the 4300. The battery box and fuel tank on the drivers side always looked out of place on the 4300, but it fit the 4270 and just looks "right". Maybe the spoke wheels have absolutely nothing to do with it, but I find it quite disappointing that R2 has re-issued many of the AMT classics that were believed to be lost or irreparable, like the 925, and have yet to give the S trucks a shot. Even the Mack DM 600 and dump trailer have re-emerged with the original MPC label and box art but no Ertl originals as of yet.

2 hours ago, Modeltruckbuilder said:

I'm not a fan of the AMT re-issues, however, the Ertl kits are a different story. I would really like to see R2 re-issue the IH S Series and if possible the 4270, assuming that it wasn't converted into the 4300. My guess is the 4270 was converted into the 4300, and it is either impossible to revert the tooling back into the 4270 or the cost of doing so is prohibitive. I know they both share many of the same parts and the biggest difference between them is the hood and sleeper, but the 4270 built into a better looking truck than the 4300. The battery box and fuel tank on the drivers side always looked out of place on the 4300, but it fit the 4270 and just looks "right". Maybe the spoke wheels have absolutely nothing to do with it, but I find it quite disappointing that R2 has re-issued many of the AMT classics that were believed to be lost or irreparable, like the 925, and have yet to give the S trucks a shot. Even the Mack DM 600 and dump trailer have re-emerged with the original MPC label and box art but no Ertl originals as of yet.

Add into that too the F-2575 for me. I could see that getting one of the plows and dump box from one of my Ford snowplow kits.