Model Cars Magazine Forum

49/50 plymouth business coupe

Well since i filled crapns head with gasser gas, i sent him pics of the ramchargers high and mighty. Well he came up with the idea lets replicate it. What we need to start of is a 49 50 plymouth business coupe body frame and interior to start. I have been searching all last night and all this mornig for a body frame and interior tub. Well the closest i got was a 49 sedan. So my ? is does anyone know of someone makeing the coupe body?

I just found a 50 coupe 3 window but they didnt have a pic so i emailed them to see if they could send me a pic. I looked at the sedan and its almost a perfect match. See we are trying to replicate and old gasser, the ramchargers high and mighty. So i have been looking for the body since yesterday night when we said yes to the idea. If they send me a pic and its fine we will buy it.

;) Yep, Zeb, one and the same.I have a diecast of (I think)that year, I bought it as a future project, It was built and sold as Richard Petty's DADS car.It's Green an white and it has the interior.If anyone can cast it for you I'll gladlly donate it to your project! Maybe I could get one of the castings?If anyone is interested,maybe you could contact the ######'n,Florian, or myself, and I'll get it out to you.

:lol: Yep, Zeb, one and the same.I have a diecast of (I think)that year, I bought it as a future project, It was built and sold as Richard Petty's DADS car.It's Green an white and it has the interior.If anyone can cast it for you I'll gladlly donate it to your project! Maybe I could get one of the castings?If anyone is interested,maybe you could contact the ######'n,Florian, or myself, and I'll get it out to you.

on the resin one that i have seen the roof is all wrong, so look at it carefully there. also look at the top edges of the window openings in the doors, these are straight on the 1:1 car, the resin body has a curve or a bow there.

the diecast Petty car is supposed to be pretty decent, maybe it's a better alternative.

don't get me wrong i'm not trying to rain on your parade about the project, i'm just trying to help out with what i know. like i mentioned earlier with a 1:1 Plymouth in my garage i too would love to build some scale versions, but all i found available wasn't very nice or even remotely accurate. the diecast was the closest, but i really don't like working with that stuff.

Dave

Let me see what it is. George does it have openig doors, just in case we have to use that alternative. Yes u would defanetaly get a body if we have to use ur car. Davezinn do you have a pic of your car? Just post it on the thread if you can so when i get the pics i will post them here and we can compare. Thanks for all the input. We are trying to replicate as close as possible so i am right now tracking down a 354 hemi for it and body. crapn will probably do the body work chopping the lid and the rest we still will figure out.

Guest zebm1

The 354 Hemi was a Dodge Firedome, doesn't tha Ala Kart model have that engine? And I think that last year, sumone posted pics of that racecar in here....at least I think so......but then it could be CRS. :D

Edited by zebm1

Thank you guys. I am glad that somepeople are willing to help us out. So far no resin casters have bit on the idea. I will probably end up using the desoto from the 53 ford since i have some parts for it. I will look into it alittle more. When we will started we will post pics.

found a motor on ebay for a chrysler :lol: . Its an older parts pack too and it is a hemi. Has fuel injection options and 6-71 blower too. Have to bid on it or ask the guy to end the auction early. hope ot works out or i will need the revell miss deal kit for motor.

who knows maybe it was. i sold it to some guys in Texas about a year and a half ago, what they did with it afterwards..........................

the Plymouth came from Indiana, i bought it off Ebay. it's a huge project and currently not running anymore, the wiring harness is fried. it was alot of fun though before the wires went up in smoke!

Dave

snowday407.jpg

Hey Dave, yer Plymouth is lookin nice. Whatter yer plans for it? Ever since Florian showed me this I thought the 49/50 Plymouth would make a cool street rod. If you run with the full discs, mebbe Gramps will paint it for ya! :lol:

thePlymouthinsurgery-vi.jpg

I was doin some compu-surgery on the pic of the resin body of the 50 sedan that Florian sent me. Like you said Dave, there're some big differences, but I think it could be done. Thanks for pointing out that the H&M had a bit of a chop job, easier to see that with your pic. Seems the rear fender is much bigger (huge) than what's showin on the 50 sedan. Thanks for the pics and the help. Florian has been bustin his butt lookin and findin all kindsa leads and ifno. Thanks to all yinz guys for helpin :lol:

oooh looking good crapn. :lol: I guess u guys saw the curve more than i did. Looks good carpn. I just found the rear bumper last night. The one out of the 40 ford can be used since it has ribbed bumpers. The amt one i mean. Motor i am still waiting for a reply. U guys are just great on helping us out so thank u. Davezinn what are u going to do with urs. I saw one at our local auto swap and it was a rear. air ride in the front and back. choped slightly flat black primer flate black wheels and whitewalls. At first i never like this body but if u chop a couple inches out of the top it looks much beter.

Well on the motor i got the answer i actually expeted :lol: . It was no i wont end the auction early most of my stuff sells for 20 dollars so no need to end early :lol: . That was the answer. So u know what this means :lol: let the bidding begin. Im gona bid at the last minute. Whish me luck.

paint, what do you mean paint, it is painted? LOL! right now it's on hold, i have to buy a new wiring harness and then hopefully she'll be running again. looked into a few options, but i haven't made a decision yet on who's harness to use. it's actually tubbed with ladder bars, but the axle isn't narrowed yet. i may never put some big meats under it, but theres room for them for sure.

the photochopping looks good! you can see too what i mean about the bow or curve to the door window's bottom edge. it affects the sedan as well, so they must be from the same company. the fenders on the sedan and the coupe should be the same, they are on the 1:1's. i have a set for my coupe from a sedan that use a different style taillight that i like more.

Dave

Oh wow Dave, so yer Plymouth is tubbed? room for BIG meats? :lol: Wow! I soooooo wanta see that! specially from the rear :lol: . As fer the paintin, I was thinkin flames like what Gramps has on his avatar :lol:

thePlymouthinsurgery-vi.jpg

gonna hafta investigate more on H&M's site, coz since you say the fenders are the same, and I noticed on your 1:1, the distance tween the leading edge of the rear fender and back edge of the door is way more than what's showin on ol blue. I'm thinkin that when they chopped it they musta cut the whole back end off and moved it forward mebbe 4-6 inches :lol:

that is a very interesting observation! there is something funny going on there with the body. the other place i noticed was the door is a bit long at the back edge on the 1:1 car. maybe they chopped the top and shortened the body some. there was an article in one of the magazines not too long ago about the recreated High and Mighty, maybe that will be helpful.

Dave

Well update. We decided to go with the coupe body. The reson was when u cut up the sedan u will have to cut the interior tub to. Also then correct the roof and window frames. But if you go with the coupe all we have to do is chop it and correct the window frames and roof. Just though id let u know.

:lol: ######'n an Flor,I got a parts pack hemi for ya's not to worry!Jus tell me where to send it an it's gone. :P:P
well George, unless dat Hemi in ol High & Mighty was 'chopped', don't be sendin it to me! :lol: I be sharpening up my saws & makin sure I gots lots of gas & oxy for the body. Hey Florian, best get that Hemi off'n George, 'fore it gets hid behind all that junk in his gay-rage! :lol: Thanks, George! We sure do appreciate all the help we're gettin. Hope we do ol High & Mighty up proud. She's still runnin btw.

:lol: ######'n an Flor,I got a parts pack hemi for ya's not to worry!Jus tell me where to send it an it's gone. :lol::lol:

George, What do you mean you have the parts pack hemi. You have the revell pack? :P:P If you do email me at apacheflock@aol.com. Thanks for pitching in. If you want some thing for it any parts or? let me know.

well George, unless dat Hemi in ol High & Mighty was 'chopped', don't be sendin it to me! :lol: I be sharpening up my saws & makin sure I gots lots of gas & oxy for the body. Hey Florian, best get that Hemi off'n George, 'fore it gets hid behind all that junk in his gay-rage! :lol: Thanks, George! We sure do appreciate all the help we're gettin. Hope we do ol High & Mighty up proud. She's still runnin btw.

That statement has me worried now :P:lol:

:rolleyes: Yep, Zeb, one and the same.I have a diecast of (I think)that year, I bought it as a future project, It was built and sold as Richard Petty's DADS car.

And what a disappointment that was! I'm a huge Lee Petty fan and would love to have an accurate representation of about any of his cars or other early 50s Plymouths in 1/24-25th. The diecast is just wrong, though as pointed out previous, might be good for parts.

Good luck with your project, I thought I saw a similar resin by a seller on eBay named miteymouse. He usually carries some of the more unusual cars of the early 50s and 60s.

And what a disappointment that was! I'm a huge Lee Petty fan and would love to have an accurate representation of about any of his cars or other early 50s Plymouths in 1/24-25th. The diecast is just wrong, though as pointed out previous, might be good for parts.

Good luck with your project, I thought I saw a similar resin by a seller on eBay named miteymouse. He usually carries some of the more unusual cars of the early 50s and 60s.

well im am still waiting for the seller to email me when he gets them in. I will check out that ebay seller though.