Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sanding

There are some good discussions on final finish sanding farther down this subject line. On the second page there's a thread called "very fine grit sandpaper", and on the third page there's a thread called "fine grit sandpaper". Both of these contain useful information. The polishing kits can be found on the net, and some hobby shops will accept phone orders. I still use one from Des Moines Iowa, as well as the one in Anchorage. For general work, I use the same sandpaper that I use in my woodshop, usually from 150 to 220 for rough work. I wash the car in mild dish soap before moving to my next step. I then go to water based paper, in 400, 600, and 2000 progression. I like to use this under slow running water to constantly remove residue while I'm sanding. When I'm satisfied with the reults, I then give the pieces another wash, and the proceed to the polishing kit sandpapers (again under gentle running water).

Since I deliver to wall- world, I'm constantly over in automotive. They carry the 3-M sand papers 320- 220- 600- 800 - 1200- and 3200 sometimes. Regular chrome polish will work on hobby enamels that have cured out for at least two weeks. Also Game Stop game stores carry a polish thats the Novus polish for cleaning C. D 's . It runs 8.00 like Novus's Hope this helps Ed Shaver