Model Cars Magazine Forum

DIY Custom PAINT STANDS

Droneoutlaw

These are Some DIY AB Paint Stands that my buddy "FREDDIE" helped me with. They are totally interchangeable & capable of moving in just about any direction or angles needed (the goalpost looking ones arms & base swivel) for your part needing to be painted. I built them using cast iron flanges 3/4" + all 3/4" pipe & fittings. I just add some 10-15lb mounting tape to the different size  plastic bushings, that hold the part. The Iron Flange & Pipe fittings add enough weight to give your part that nice STURDY SOLID feeling to your parts needing paint! I added some leftover gloss rattlecan black paint enamel on the iron sections making them cleanable & looking nice....   Very Simple to make, inexpensive & easy to locate parts at most any Hardware shop....

enjoy,

Lee

IMG_6942.JPG

IMG_6969.PNG

IMG_6970.PNG

Edited by Droneoutlaw
Added description topic

Now get a lazy susan and put pins/bolts up thru the bottom.  Make them fit the pattern of the flanges and you can secure the flange with nuts or gravity to a rotating stand.   Just a thought....  I use a lazy susan with coat hangers screwed to the bottom.  The hangers are bent over at the top to sorta fit any car body.  I llike to rotate the body as I'm painting and don't have to pick it up or touch anything except the edge of the lazy susan.  

• 4 weeks later...

Now get a lazy susan and put pins/bolts up thru the bottom.  Make them fit the pattern of the flanges and you can secure the flange with nuts or gravity to a rotating stand.   Just a thought....  I use a lazy susan with coat hangers screwed to the bottom.  The hangers are bent over at the top to sorta fit any car body.  I llike to rotate the body as I'm painting and don't have to pick it up or touch anything except the edge of the lazy susan.  

Yep I actually have 3 different Lazy Susan's I use for my new "Heavy Duty" paint stands. 

?Thx, Lee