Model Cars Magazine Forum

Amt 1957 Chevy Kustom w.i.p.(UPDATE NEW PICS 7/11/08)

just_a_doodz

DONT STRIP IT. Here is what u do. LEave it on. Let it gas out dry completely. Sand it with a block. Just sand it till u dont see it anymore. Then go out and buy some cheap gloss black spray it on lightly. If you see it sand again. This is how i fixed one of those problems. Dont know if it would work on urs but before u strip evrything off just go with that first.

All is not lost!! Let it dry a few days, color sand it and recoat with a less aggressive paint. I like using Testors spray lacquer.

If the paint was more "aggressive" or "hotter" than the primer, that would explain why you didn't see the problem in the prime coats. When you spray a "hot" paint, the thinner can penetrate the primer coat and unsettle the plastic.

Good luck,

All is not lost!! Let it dry a few days, color sand it and recoat with a less aggressive paint. I like using Testors spray lacquer.

If the paint was more "aggressive" or "hotter" than the primer, that would explain why you didn't see the problem in the prime coats. When you spray a "hot" paint, the thinner can penetrate the primer coat and unsettle the plastic.

Good luck,

LOL...cooler heads may prevail.....I just decided to let it sit....(after a COLD beverage)...I will deal with it later when all the emotions are gone....Thanks guys.Experience always trumps excitement.Later

LOL...cooler heads may prevail.....I just decided to let it sit....(after a COLD beverage)...I will deal with it later when all the emotions are gone....Thanks guys.Experience always trumps excitement.Later

Good!! I NEVER strip a paint job unless it's a 1:1 car with old, cracking paint. And, I was a professional bodyman and painter for several years.

Like I said...let it dry, give it a good color sanding, trying not to go through the paint wherever possible, (to prevent it from happening again), and it should like fine after you repaint it.

Honestly, I never count on the first coat of paint. I almost always will put down a good first coat, let it wrinkle, crinkle and do all of the nasty stuff that it wants, then let it dry, color sand it, give it a final coat and a good dose of clear. AND, I'll often color sand the clear coat, (especially if there are decals involved), and come back over the whole thing with a final clear coat for polishing.

Good luck to you,

Thanks soooooo much for the info guys.As of right now Im packing it up and starting something else.I WILL get back to it I just have to get away from this particular car.But when I pick it back up I will follow all you guys suggestions and post the results.Thanks again and good modeling!!Later.

Hello there friend! Yeah I was going to say keep on wit the keepin on. I say push on. These guys will almost always have yer back on dilemmas such as this. If at any cost just mask off where ya dont want no paint bothered and then get to town on those sometimes disappear and re appear ghosties!!

All in all its one badd mammajamma and mos-def should get put in a display case. Keep on wit the keepin on!!! O' b4 I forget that power supply is awesome!!

peace

ajulia

Well guys....I sanded it down a bit and man.....it looks like an artsand craft store....LOTS of flake.AND the paint looks terrible.BUT Im going to spray Testors One Coat Lacquer Inca Gold over it and see what happens...LOL.Wish me luck.Pics well be here soon!!Later.

HOLY COW......Im inspired to finish this thing again!!!Thanks to the great advice from you guys (and a couple of beers) I think I may have salvaged this beast....Check the pics.

100_1462.jpg

100_1463.jpg

100_1465.jpg

And a coparison picture between the silver and gold....

Silver:

100_1461.jpg

Gold:

100_1464.jpg

So what do you guys think?Im going to do the interior white.THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!

HOLY COW......Im inspired to finish this thing again!!!Thanks to the great advice from you guys (and a couple of beers) I think I may have salvaged this beast....Check the pics.

100_1462.jpg

100_1463.jpg

100_1465.jpg

And a coparison picture between the silver and gold....

Silver:

100_1461.jpg

Gold:

100_1464.jpg

So what do you guys think?Im going to do the interior white.THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!!!!!

Dude now u just made me mad for trading in my 57 kit :( . Now i will have to get another one and paint it like yours exept i will put a trans candy red over it. As for you all you need now is some mags and white walls and your set. White or black interior would be sweet.

Nice save!! Aren't you glad now that you didn't strip it?!

A little BMF, a few details and you've got a winner on your hands!!

LOL....Im not sure....Ive shaved EVERYTHING except the moulding/wipers (scared to).What do you think....paint the trim/arms silver and the wipers black.....OR leave it all body color.Ill be honest...I was shooting for the stars on this one but now I just want to finish it.The custom exhaust/suspension deal is over and done with....LOL.And everyone wants this red.....heck Im scared to try ANOTHER layer on the NINE already done (two primer coats...THREE silver....two Gold...two clears....(pics coming with the clear)).Im still disappointed on this build but I realize I was shooting too high too fast.If I wouldnt have scribed the panel lines it would look like a bass boat.....LOL.Well...with that said....here are the pics with clear.I just want to say that Im SO SORRY if this post is getting on peoples nerves.I just want to learn and I think pictures actually DO speak louder than words.I sincerely appreciate all the knowledge you guys have to give and respect everyones opinions on the modeling subject.Im NOT posting these to uh-heeem (sorry) "whore" the board.I just NEED input.Thanks for looking guys and happy building!!!Later.Oh....PICS!!!------->

100_1473.jpg

100_1474.jpg

100_1475.jpg

100_1476.jpg

Edited by just_a_doodz

Post away!! If anybody gets tired of your stuff then they can simply move onto the next posting. :unsure:

Sure, a little BMF on the arms and a wipe with the old black magic marker in the blades and you're good there. I can still see enough detail around the winshield opening and the wing windows to BMF the trim there.

Good luck,

Post away!! If anybody gets tired of your stuff then they can simply move onto the next posting. :lol:

Sure, a little BMF on the arms and a wipe with the old black magic marker in the blades and you're good there. I can still see enough detail around the winshield opening and the wing windows to BMF the trim there.

Good luck,

X2

dont build for us build for your self :lol:

if you dont want it red then dont make it red ;)

you didnt agrivate me you gave me ideas ;)

now im going to go get me a 57 and raise hell on it :blink:

im planning on going all out on it and due to your car giving me so many ideas it will be built sooner ;)

sorry if i sounded pissy but i wasnt that car looks hella cool in my eyes (its like :D:D:D WOW)

and to all that this guy offended with this awsome car GO AWAY

LOL....Im not sure....Ive shaved EVERYTHING except the moulding/wipers (scared to).What do you think....paint the trim/arms silver and the wipers black.....OR leave it all body color.Ill be honest...I was shooting for the stars on this one but now I just want to finish it.The custom exhaust/suspension deal is over and done with....LOL.And everyone wants this red.....heck Im scared to try ANOTHER layer on the NINE already done (two primer coats...THREE silver....two Gold...two clears....(pics coming with the clear)).Im still disappointed on this build but I realize I was shooting too high too fast.If I wouldnt have scribed the panel lines it would look like a bass boat.....LOL.Well...with that said....here are the pics with clear.I just want to say that Im SO SORRY if this post is getting on peoples nerves.I just want to learn and I think pictures actually DO speak louder than words.I sincerely appreciate all the knowledge you guys have to give and respect everyones opinions on the modeling subject.Im NOT posting these to uh-heeem (sorry) "whore" the board.I just NEED input.Thanks for looking guys and happy building!!!Later.Oh....PICS!!!------->

100_1473.jpg

100_1474.jpg

100_1475.jpg

100_1476.jpg

Hey if your posts get on someones nerves i think they should leave. Your posts are awsome. I would just leave the body one color right now. Maybe some small bmf on the wipers or leave them like they are. I realy want to see more of your builds. One quick question though. Were did you get the silver?? I realy like it.

Hey if your posts get on someones nerves i think they should leave. Your posts are awsome. I would just leave the body one color right now. Maybe some small bmf on the wipers or leave them like they are. I realy want to see more of your builds. One quick question though. Were did you get the silver?? I realy like it.

I put a picture of the paint in the first few posts.It is House Of Kolor in a spray can.The color is Orion Silver.If you have ever used this stuff you know that pictures DONT do it justice.It is LOADED with flake.

Sup AGAIN guys...LOL.I swear Im going to finish this creature before long.Ive got one question.....Which wheels?Everyone has seen the Pegasus Chrome T's.Here are the wire wheels that came with the Monte Carlo SS Streetburner version.I did this because someone said it had a lowrider look.I REALLY like the look of these wheels.Anyway....what do you guys think?

Chrome T's for comparison.

100_1473.jpg

100_1475.jpg

Wires from Monte...

100_1477.jpg

100_1478.jpg

100_1479.jpg

100_1480.jpg

So which one for this lost soul?

To add what Mark said, I have a sure fire cure for "ghosting".

This is especially good if you don't have access to putties and such------first sand away the script, trim, etc, like you normally would.

Next, after you've sanded what you want away, take some liquid glue and brush over the spot you sanded clean. You'll notice that the spot you sanded has now "reappeared". The hot solvents in the liquid glue has made the plastic regain it's "memory" of what was once there.

Now, after the area has thoroughly dried where you applied the glue, sand that area again. What you're doing now is erasing the rest of the memory from the plastic.

When you go to paint, the area shouldn't reappear because the paint you're using does not have a hot a solvent as liquid glue itself. B) This is especially true even for the hot paint you used previously. This tip will come in handy even for pesky mold lines as they can reappear too, even after you've sanded them away. You can test this by applying the liquid glue again to make double sure.

I've done this on recent builds...................not the '55 Ford though as the initial bodywork was started over 2 years ago. Give it a shot as I highly recommend this.

I've got to give big kudos for this tip from one of the bodywork masters out there---------------that's Ted "Chopper" Lear!

HTH! :)

To add what Mark said, I have a sure fire cure for "ghosting".

This is especially good if you don't have access to putties and such------first sand away the script, trim, etc, like you normally would.

Next, after you've sanded what you want away, take some liquid glue and brush over the spot you sanded clean. You'll notice that the spot you sanded has now "reappeared". The hot solvents in the liquid glue has made the plastic regain it's "memory" of what was once there.

Now, after the area has thoroughly dried where you applied the glue, sand that area again. What you're doing now is erasing the rest of the memory from the plastic.

When you go to paint, the area shouldn't reappear because the paint you're using does not have a hot a solvent as liquid glue itself. B) This is especially true even for the hot paint you used previously. This tip will come in handy even for pesky mold lines as they can reappear too, even after you've sanded them away. You can test this by applying the liquid glue again to make double sure.

I've done this on recent builds...................not the '55 Ford though as the initial bodywork was started over 2 years ago. Give it a shot as I highly recommend this.

I've got to give big kudos for this tip from one of the bodywork masters out there---------------that's Ted "Chopper" Lear!

HTH! :)

Thanks for ANOTHER great tip.Im amazed by all the info you guys have to offer.BUT....what about the wheels....Im still hanging...or draggin depending on your perspective...LOL.

Thanks for ANOTHER great tip.Im amazed by all the info you guys have to offer.BUT....what about the wheels....Im still hanging...or draggin depending on your perspective...LOL.

yo bro i would stay with the chrome t's

reason is that everyone seems to make a lowrider out of these cars so if you want to stand out then stick with the t's

and if the engine looks wierd go get the 68 corvette by revell and do an engine swap

just my $0.02

As far as people tiring of your posts regarding this build, I really doubt anyone here would feel this way. This is absolutely the best group of modelers you'll find, not just as to talent or skills, but as to attitudes & willingness to help. Don't worry about being "annoying" with this because you're not! I don't know of any regular here that's less than willing to help out a fellow modeler however we can.

:(

well said

dont go running away cus you think people are mad of you posting

hell even after i raised a little bit of hell around here you can ask anyone on here what i did im still around and people still like me i think

but hay dont run away i actually want to see more coming out of you

Looking good!

Gotta tell ya, i love the gold, i loved the silver, heck i even liked it in primer!

As for the wheels, i say go for the T's. Just a quick suggestion tho, some 15" chrome reverse on ww's would really set that thing off and make it look really oldschool.

Oldschool Oldschool Oldschool ........ admitably, i've got a pretty one track brain when it comes to 60's, 50's and below cars....

Naww Evil I don't like ya, I think the world of ya!!! :P:D

The only problem you had was coming to grips with how we relate to one another here, & learning that one's ego doesn't automatically make them "right" or the "best". Even when you were blustering & posing, (which I did understand, I was a young man eager to prove myself once just as you are now), I could see the intellect behind your pose. IIRC, (& remember, I'm an "old fart", so my memory may be slipping a bit :lol: ), I was one of the more tolerant ones regarding the issues until you admittedly did get on my nerves. I'm glad Anthony & others were able to 'set you straight", to where you don't feel like you have to prove anything to us to be accepted here. You're an excellent builder & a really good guy!

B)

###### thanks bro

that means alot