Model Cars Magazine Forum

A neat idea from the October 1967 Car Model magazine.

Guest Davkin

Well, you know what momma said, if you can't say anything nice........... :(

I've thought about making a car carrier similar to the one Mercedes used for it's GP cars in the 50's but base it on the 1950 Chevy Pickup body, I think that could look cool.

David

Well, you know what momma said, if you can't say anything nice........... :(

I've thought about making a car carrier similar to the one Mercedes used for it's GP cars in the 50's but base it on the 1950 Chevy Pickup body, I think that could look cool.

David

im not being mean i want to see it being built

he must have a reason for not doing it for forty years

but now with all the aftermarket stuff it should be awsome

DO IT DO IT DO IT DO IT PLEASE DO IT

Yeah, that beats the Aztek for ugly, but if I am not mistaken, didn’t Juha Airio build something similar to this from a 55 Chevy? Kind of like a fore runner to a Mini Van but kinda’ like a Corvair pickup looking thing? Does anyone remember what I think I remember? I will have to start looking through my four foot high stack of model magazines to try and find it.

Yeah, he built something like that years ago. He called it some French sounding name like "Internationelle" or something. It was weird, but not nearly as weird as this thing!

Was Juha's model called the "L'Universelle"? That was a real GM concept vehicle and a very cool one. I never knew that Juha built that one. There is a very good article on it in old Special Interest Autos mag from the 70s.

As far as the Thunderball goes -- BUILD IT!

Andy

I'm pretty sure I've seen one somewhere that was based on a '59 El Camino. Possibly a factory effort for a race team support vehicle, but I could be nutz. It was also a snub nose design, proportioned more like the Merc transport. I always thought the Mercedes truck was cool. I like the Thunderball too. If it was an actual factory concept I think we would be more accepting of its quirky styling. It does need some redirection, though. I'm adding something like it to my list of "somedays". It's Futurelinerish

Edited by samdiego

I'm pretty sure I've seen one somewhere that was based on a '59 El Camino. Possibly a factory effort for a race team support vehicle, but I could be nutz. It was also a snub nose design, proportioned more like the Merc transport. I always thought the Mercedes truck was cool. I like the Thunderball too. If it was an actual factory concept I think we would be more accepting of its quirky styling. It does need some redirection, though. I'm adding something like it to my list of "somedays". It's Futurelinerish

I've seen pics of the ElCamino hauler too, but I can't remember where.

Hey why does this creation resemble the 1956 G M C L'Universalle van that Gm rolled out for their moterrama shows, In fact a friend and I tried to build a 1-1 van we got bogged down as to what we could use for a trans axle at the time See the real one used a prototype Pontiac Tempest axle we wern't told that Still, I did build a model though I liked the "Buck Rogers" look. Ed Shaver

I've seen pics of the ElCamino hauler too, but I can't remember where.

i know what u guys are talking bout. Its features in a vintage 60s mag. Let me go through my small stack i think i have the pics of it. That thing was cool. Something like it was sold on evilbay yesterday. Dont know what it sold for as i still have ta check. It had a custom amt 55 t bird too right because the one that i have in pics has a custom t bird with it and i think i have another pic of a different one too. Let me check.

Edited by sdrodder

i know what u guys are talking bout. Its features in a vintage 60s mag. Let me go through my small stack i think i have the pics of it. That thing was cool. Something like it was sold on evilbay yesterday. Dont know what it sold for as i still have ta check.

Something just came to me. Wasn't it a project of Dean Moon's? I don't think it was ever finished.

Was Juha's model called the "L'Universelle"? That was a real GM concept vehicle and a very cool one. I never knew that Juha built that one. There is a very good article on it in old Special Interest Autos mag from the 70s.

As far as the Thunderball goes -- BUILD IT!

Andy

I love Google ;)

post-2084-1214965578_thumb.jpg

To Harry and Fernando, as I said in a previous post the L'Universale van was really something else. George Wagner C E O of General Motors was a friend of mine growing up . while we wern't always on the same page concerning automobile styling he graciously helped me both on building the model as well as trying many years ago at a half hearted attempt to build a running version I wish I had permission to reprint all the technical information on this unique van . You may never have realized this but a side mounted motor was experimented with as G M Coach division was producing intercity buses at the time with Buick eight cylinder engines in them. I've worked on a couple of these dinosaurs and even they were difficult, they were in reality over engineered just like the first Toronados were. I can tell ya'all I woulda bought one even they would have been a real pain to put a set of ignition points in or replace a water pump on. Ed Shaver