Model Cars Magazine Forum

62 Ford Starliner

FordRodnKustom

With some time off from work last week I decided to start working on this Ford. I started out with an old eBay built up and after removing all the glued on custom clips, some putty and sanding I ended up with a fairly smooth body. The chrome trim was hosed so that had to come of too. I thought I'd try something different so I added a Starliner roof, set the stance with wheels and thin whites. I just molded in the 66 T-Bird hood scoop and it'll have the 3 carbed 428 from the same 66 'Bird kit under the hood. The original interior tub was trashed so I'm gonna use one from a 63 Galaxie with the 62 dashboard. I've got a few ideas for colors but not sure yet. Comments welcome! ;)

62strip7-vi.jpg

1stprimer-vi.jpg

bench11106002-vi.jpg

62linerhood008-vi.jpg

62linerhood017-vi.jpg

6t2005-vi.jpg

I've got several comments to make. Let me start off by referring to the next to the last picture. The angle of the picture enhances how well the opening of the hood scoop and the wheel arches compliment each other. I like your choice of the chrome mag wheels and the narrow white wall tires; something that was coming into vogue at the time that car would have been new. I'm unsure as to your mindset, but you're definitely on track for a vintage custom, which would really be cool. My suggestion would be to have it lowered all the way around. I've always thought of the stances of cars in several ways; nose up is an attack stance, nose down is a prowl stance, both of which promote aggression, but one that's lowered all of the way around is alluring and seductive. Dropping the rear end, and the right choice of colors, and this car will meet the last criteria. I might also suggest incorporating some of the Thunderbird elements into the interior, especially the dash. I've restored two or three of these back to original, and they're definitely fun builds. I'm going to enjoy watching the progress on yours.

I've got several comments to make. Let me start off by referring to the next to the last picture. The angle of the picture enhances how well the opening of the hood scoop and the wheel arches compliment each other. I like your choice of the chrome mag wheels and the narrow white wall tires; something that was coming into vogue at the time that car would have been new. I'm unsure as to your mindset, but you're definitely on track for a vintage custom, which would really be cool. My suggestion would be to have it lowered all the way around. I've always thought of the stances of cars in several ways; nose up is an attack stance, nose down is a prowl stance, both of which promote aggression, but one that's lowered all of the way around is alluring and seductive. Dropping the rear end, and the right choice of colors, and this car will meet the last criteria. I might also suggest incorporating some of the Thunderbird elements into the interior, especially the dash. I've restored two or three of these back to original, and they're definitely fun builds. I'm going to enjoy watching the progress on yours.

Hey Kodiak, I appreciate your evaluation on this build. Thanks. You are correct in that I'm going for a custom rod look, trying to keep a mid 60's vibe. I tend to agree that I need to drop the rear a liitle. Not sure if I'll keep this wheel combo, I keep changing it around. The thin white walls will stay, just not sure of the rims. Eventually I'll find what I like. :blink:

Hey I LIKE that Ron!! B)

Now why didn't Ford do that to the 1:1 with that roof? :blink:

Thanks Bill! I always wondered that too. Ford abandoned the fastback for just this one year, I guess the thinking was formal "boxtop" roofline was the way to go...hey it worked on the T-Bird :lol: Now how kool would a 59 look with a 'liner roof on it? ;)

Thanks Bill! I always wondered that too. Ford abandoned the fastback for just this one year, I guess the thinking was formal "boxtop" roofline was the way to go...hey it worked on the T-Bird B) Now how kool would a 59 look with a 'liner roof on it? :lol:

I have a book around here (somewhere?!) that shows a 59 mock-up with the 57-8 hardtop on it. Even with the boxy body it looked good.

I have a book around here (somewhere?!) that shows a 59 mock-up with the 57-8 hardtop on it. Even with the boxy body it looked good.

AH HA! Found it! Thanks for reminding me about those pics. I dug these up from the October 1986 Collectible Automobile. I think the 59 looks great with this roof. My ead is spinning with ideas now :lol:

fordroof2-vi.jpg

fordroof3-vi.jpg

I have to agtee with several of the comments previously mentioned. The lowered all the way around wouldn't make the car look as though the suspension had broken. The idea of incorporating Thunderbird pieces is noteworthy In fact, why not incorporate the trim from a 1963 Pontiac Bonniville, It's just a thought as it would help to break up the "mass". You could make the trim by using Ever green styrene grooved sheet material. As for wheels, I remember that in the original issue of the 1934 Ford truck George Barris had designed a set of "Kustom" or Cadillac spinner hubcaps with Bullets added to the centers. I also recall an issue of A M T 's 53 Ford truck having something similar as well. Also , If you have a re-issue of the CJ -2 Jeep AKA Hogans Heros Jeep, look on the parts tree you will see one hubcap . It's in reality a 1960 Plymouth hubcap. If you were to make a rubber mold and cast four of them, they would look very attractive with a lowered Ford. Because they were available to the public.

That looks natural, to say the least. Here's a few pics of the Starlift top Ford created for the convertible to make them more aerodynamic for NASCAR racing. Lorenzon won at Atlanta at the Starlift's only event before Bill France said no to the idea, since it wasn't really a production piece.

62starlift_galaxie.jpg

starlift.jpg

Your Ford looks great- I especially like the hood scoop.

I don't mean to steal your thread.... but (will anyway ;) ) wanted to show you what I have done with two swap meet 1962 Fords that I picked up about 15 years ago. The first one was to be a response to Tim Kolankiewicz's "Coral Aura"... which of course never got finished. (boy did you miss that bullet Tim!) The roof was/is a new at the time Revell Thunderbird SC donor item inspired by the Starliner. This was to be an all out turbosupercharged Ferrari engined, fully independently suspended with a aero-effects undercarriage.... not to mention 4 wheel drive.

Yes, I ran out of steam on this one.......

P1010312-vi.jpg

P1010313-vi.jpg

The second car I received at that swap meet was in very much worse shape. The body had huge glue marks on the sides and much of the details were damaged.... so I choose to do a quick weathered street car for a show in Texas I was suppose to attend. The car ended up taking best in class... (what that was I forget) or some such. I just wanted something to bring.

Anyway, I utilized much of the damage to the body as rust, and dents... etc. Weird thing was that I had the bumpers re-chromed by Chrome Tech and then ended up weathering them.... weird huh?

P1010314-vi.jpg

Note that the fender "bulls eye" trim pieces were scratchbuilt on both bodies? They both arrived with just holes and the trim pieces missing...

P1010315-vi.jpg

What I mean to say with this post is.... Ron, I love where you are going with this build up but you need to break up those slab sides a bit. The removal of the chrome trim really emphasizes the flatness of the panels. Maybe a two tone paint scheme with a graphic painted spear or break between might be needed.

Just a thought.

:lol:

That looks natural, to say the least. Here's a few pics of the Starlift top Ford created for the convertible to make them more aerodynamic for NASCAR racing. Lorenzon won at Atlanta at the Starlift's only event before Bill France said no to the idea, since it wasn't really a production piece.

Your Ford looks great- I especially like the hood scoop.

Thanks Harold. The old Starlifter concept is what inspired me for this build as I always liked the looks of it. I appreciate the cool pictures of it! :)

What I mean to say with this post is.... Ron, I love where you are going with this build up but you need to break up those slab sides a bit. The removal of the chrome trim really emphasizes the flatness of the panels. Maybe a two tone paint scheme with a graphic painted spear or break between might be needed.

Just a thought.

:)

Thanks for your input on this one Jarius. I agree the sides are a little wide and flat now. I'm messing around with some trim ideas for it. One is a thin strip starting at the rear bumper cut in and going straight to about 3/4 of the door ending in a V8 or blue oval emblem or something like that. Your first concept build is wild, sure would like to see that one finished. Great idea! :blink:

• 5 years later...

So after a few years in a box while I got distracted on other projects I put this Ford back on the bench with the goal of finishing it.

I decided to go with 60 Merc front and rear grills cut and trimmed to fit. Smooth rolled pans are also molded in.

62grills014-vi.jpg

fordint001-vi.jpg

64 Galaxie seats and custom head rests. I like the "Jetsons" look here. It'll have a 64 Marauder dash.

7_14_12projects011-vi.jpg

After shaving off all the stock chrome trim I thought the body sides needed something so I made a thin trim spear out of T shaped strip styrene. Still need to do some sanding and shaping.

62trim006-vi.jpg

That's about where I am with it as of today. I'm having fun rattling ideas around for it. As always comments and suggestions welcome!