Model Cars Magazine Forum

Motor City's 1973-5 Ford Econoline van

Motor City; the company who took on Tom Elifret's Econoline van :

This is a "What's in the box look at Tom Elifrets 1973-5 Ford Econoline LWB van .

I watched Tom closely as he took AMT's 1976 Econoline and reversed it to what we used to refer to as a "Bull nose " Ford in the 70's . This is one van I know inside and out as I have worked on the 1969-74 Ford Econoline extensively . I've also over the years been able to collect options seldom ordered on the actual trucks simply because I have been an avid fan of them .

I got into vanning myself back in 1972 with a 1970 SWB Econoline E-200 . Equipped with a 240 six , C-4 automatic and a AM radio , this was my entry into a lifestyle that I enjoy today .

The model Motor city offers is of a typical 1973-5 Econoline with a Long wheelbase and the "Folding " side doors along with no cost option rear cargo glass . Buying a van then really was a myriad of choices abet limited . . Ford no longer had the side cargo door option of either NO side door , or cargo doors on BOTH sides as this was usually reserved for the "Camper set " . However , new for 1973 was a "Sliding " side door option and this was also a "No cost " option . These could be had with "Pop out windows " on the side door . Pop out windows were also considered optional for the rear cargo doors as well.

Moving inside , the dashboard represents a radio as lockable glove box doors were optional on the vans where a radio was deleted . Seating was also a pair of seats with the passenger seat being optional , or a "Flip fold " Jump seat , or a like driver seat . Motor city offers the Econoline with a pair of standard low back seats with bases . YOU, the model builder can probably scratch build the "Flip fold Passenger seat yourself ". Air conditioning was indeed offered and the duct work ran down the Driver's side . this too is something you would have to scratch build as well as the "Dealer " add on A/C units made to install where the radio was located .The Motor cover- was made to replicate those used on Ford's optional 302 V-8 . I mention this because when this van was in production , I was manufacturing Drink holders for these vans and the Six cylinder box was vastly different in that it was square at the rear to accommodate the 240's longer head .Thus , the deck was different and the passenger had a scoch more room as the box was angled to give the extra room to the Right .

The Transkit is molded in a White resin that is as smooth as any polystyrene plastic kit made today ! The photos I have taken are just as it's packaged in the box .

Looking underneath , even the chassis parts were expertly back dated so as to show the earlier "I" Beam suspension used under these vehicles. Red Tail lamp lenses were included in a Polyethylene bag as is a vacuum formed windshield .

Also included are a NON Chromed Bumper/ grille assembly along with the rear bumper . Very little is really needed from the AMT 1976 Econoline Van in which the earlier Van is designed to combine with .

Enjoy reliving the era of "No Gas " as you build this van folks . For me , it represents a time of reliving my career as a van accessory manufacturer , wholesaler, retailer . I owned at one time five of these vans in several guises and both wheel bases .

Econoline 1_zpswgvfthyn.jpg

Econoline 2_zpscbz7ln4m.jpg

Econoline 3_zpsrz8stusg.jpg

Econoline 4_zpswcg5oet2.jpg

Econoline 5_zpshv41wnom.jpg

Econoline 6_zpsvejpqw8b.jpg

Econoline 7_zpsmd9xu9pv.jpg

Thanks for the historical write up. I also remember the van craze in between the 2 big  70's  fuel crisis. These 2nd generation vans were super popular for all types of businesses and recreational use back in the day. I got one of those resin vans and I very happy with  it. The build we probably be a bell telephone or tv repair van. I believe the 2nd generation was '68-'74, 3rd generation was '75-'91.

Thanks, Eshaver, for the review. Here's the kit modified into a window van. I'm building another as a work van with the sliding door. Since I couldn't access a real van, I relied heavily on the 1/20 Econoline kit. Hats off to Motor City for creating the vacuform windshield, it's fits pretty well!

DSC_0071-vi.jpg

DSC_0069-vi.jpg

Tom , I DO have ONE suggestion . if you tool a Slide side , why not also do the "Park bench" seats those vans came with . I know I can provide the photos needed of the "BASE " seats . The nice high back Captians chairs were actually a Bostrom seat offering as were the unique swivel bases that mated them for the THIRD gen vans . I have a very nice pair along with BOTH versions of the bases that were manufactured for that van along with several not often ordered options  ordered for the Econoline over their history .

4 hours ago, Eshaver said:

Tom , I DO have ONE suggestion . if you tool a Slide side , why not also do the "Park bench" seats those vans came with . I know I can provide the photos needed of the "BASE " seats . The nice high back Captians chairs were actually a Bostrom seat offering as were the unique swivel bases that mated them for the THIRD gen vans . I have a very nice pair along with BOTH versions of the bases that were manufactured for that van along with several not often ordered options  ordered for the Econoline over their history .

I had intended to make the sliding door version a one-off modification of the base kit, with just two front seats. You have given me something to think about with this suggestion...

Vantastic job Repstock! Super realistic and very inspiring as usual. It appears to have the 16.5 tires and full wheel covers off the 1 ton AMT  F 350 pickup, which is correct for the deluxe   1 ton E 300 models.  The hubcaps off the  '69 and '70 Moebius pickups would be correct for base model 1 ton E 300's.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 2:02 PM, leafsprings said:

...The build we probably be a bell telephone or tv repair van. I believe the 2nd generation was '68-'74, 3rd generation was '75-'91.

Here's a pic of 4 different conversions Dodge offered on the A100 van, one being a TV service truck.  Not an Econoline, I know, but thought it might help a little.  I was thinking of doing an A100 TV repair truck.  All the conversions have one thing in common:  the tool/storage box mounted behind the passenger seat.

a-vans.jpg

Steve , I promise ya , it's a very decent offering . I don't do much in resin as too many have been SCAM artists , or the product is simply unusable . In this case , Motor City was up front and the product was exactly what it was implied .....

On 1/14/2018 at 1:02 PM, leafsprings said:

Thanks for the historical write up. I also remember the van craze in between the 2 big  70's  fuel crisis. These 2nd generation vans were super popular for all types of businesses and recreational use back in the day. I got one of those resin vans and I very happy with  it. The build we probably be a bell telephone or tv repair van. I believe the 2nd generation was '68-'74, 3rd generation was '75-'91.

I too have been wanting to do a telephone  service van with a 60s/70s style scale phone booth.

13 hours ago, Repstock said:

Oh yeah..!  Thanks Tom that is the one id like to have a couple of scale ones of for some dioramas...they would be perfect for the builds.   I doubt I have the skills or access to the supplies needed to make them around here though...still might have to give that a try.

• 6 years later...
15 hours ago, 2NthreequarterSFPD022 said:

Are they still in business and producing these? 

All this reminiscing about 70's customs has my ambitions in 4X4.

Motor City is out of business, and I have no access to the master, if it still exists.