Model Cars Magazine Forum

A Tale of Two Deuces

dub

I realized that I haven't put any workbench threads up for a while. I have two on the bench right now in active mode, and as the subheading states, they are for a club contest . The contest is two parts. The first portion was to show your build(s) at the July meeting under construction. First through third prizes were awarded by popular vote. Now that the first part is out of the way, I can finish the two builds I started.

First, back in May, I started a 5 window with an MPC American Graffiti body and grille shell on a Revell frame. I decided early to use one of the Buick Nailheads I have from the Tommy Ivo dragster kit. I also am using Modelhaus wheels and front wheel backs which are faux Buick drums. The tires are from Replica & Miniatures of Maryland.

Here are some early mockups:

IMG_1850.jpg

IMG_1852.jpg

IMG_2076.jpg

IMG_2074.jpg

One of my favorites:

IMG_2072.jpg

Next, I decided to tackle the interior. For this I'm using a mixture of Revell deuce parts. The seat is a trimmed down bench from the 3 window, as is the dash. The door panels are from the roadster because the doors are cut really close to a 5 window.

IMG_2081.jpg

Because I channelled this really far, I had to adjust the side panels for it.

IMG_2083.jpg

IMG_2084.jpg

IMG_2085.jpg

IMG_2086.jpg

I pretty happy with that! :lol:

Next, #2!

#2 came about one night around the end of May when I still couldn't decide which body to use for a second entry. I had a bit of inspiration when I was looking at some of my car show pics.

IMG_2104.jpg

Decapitation!

IMG_2105.jpg

IMG_2106.jpg

The body is the new Revell Tudor and the frame is from RMoM.

I decided the color pretty early on this one. Its going to stay this primer and will be a dirty rod. (The other one will be a shiny rod) I plan to do a 3/4 tonneau cover on this one. Single bomber seat and one of the new flattys from the Revell Tudor kit. The Q-change rear is another part robbed from that Tommy Ivo dragster kit.

IMG_2115.jpg

IMG_2118.jpg

To do the engine with the modern tranny it comes with, I had to redo the center cross-member.

IMG_2536.jpg

With the webbing cut out of the center, the frame is really fragile and flexible. When Norm saw this engine and tranny sitting in the frame without that there, he was curious what I did.

IMG_2537.jpg

I used 2X3 styrene stock and shaped it with a file and sanding stick. I think it looks like how 2X3 steel would look on a 1:1 frame in the same situation.

IMG_2538.jpg

IMG_2539.jpg

I have a bunch more done on both of these than posted here. I'll be back later to put some more up.

Thanks for looking! :lol:

Edited by dub

Guest Gramps-xrds

Dub, I think you made the right choice when you decided to take the top off the sedan. It looks a little funky to me, but as a tub it looks good. I like the nailhead in the coupe. Waiting for more :lol::P;)

That coupe looks wonderfully traditional! Excellent start.

The term "Tale of two Deuces" was coined by Tim Boyd way back in the stone age when magazines were printed in mostly black and white. I remember it really inspired me... and I built two rods as my verson of "Tale of two Deuces". Tim eventually printed it in Rod and Custom. Definately a highwatermark for me back then... but don't ask me the issue :lol:

That coupe looks wonderfully traditional! Excellent start.

The term "Tale of two Deuces" was coined by Tim Boyd way back in the stone age when magazines were printed in mostly black and white. I remember it really inspired me... and I built two rods as my verson of "Tale of two Deuces". Tim eventually printed it in Rod and Custom. Definately a highwatermark for me back then... but don't ask me the issue :lol:

Thank you!

For the traditional crowd, this one is all pre-66 parts. You'll see in a moment what I did to keep the suspension correct.

The title of the thread just came to me as a play on words with the novel. I'm sure that's the idea Tim had too. I wasn't aware of the article, but that isn't going to make me change the title because, as you said, it was in the stone ages! :lol:

I'll throw some more pics out for Gramps and the rest of 'ya!

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2089.jpg

IMG_2093.jpg

The exhaust manifolds are from the AMT 65 Riviera. I painted them with a craft paint called Sophisticated Finishes. The "color" is Iron Metallic Surfacer. You can use it straight or use another color for rust or patina or even bronzing(I think...). Cool stuff. Just brush it on like everything else. I do think I'm going to brush on some Dullcote to seal it. It seems to chip easily.

Here's the painted wheels on another mockup:

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2098.jpg

Now here is where I figured out how to keep the suspension all 60s and older. The airbags got cut off the axle and those plastic coils I take out of late model builds to substitute metal ones replace them. The coilovers get some filing and sanding to make them look like ordinary tube shocks with dust covers. Only prob is, I didn't get one of them cleaned up enough and you can see the coils a bit after the chassis got painted.

IMG_2096.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

See, all old school! Those traction bars were around back then even though most couldn't afford them. This one is supposed to be a high dollar build from back then. The front split wishbone setup is same story; rich kid stuff. That's OK, the other build won't be so extravagant.

More #2 on the way.....

For this one, since I decided to do the tonneau cover over most of the interior, I thought a bare inner door panel would be appropriate. I found a good clean pic of a Tudor in a magazine with the panel off for reference, and had at it with sheet styrene!

IMG_2543.jpg

IMG_2546.jpg

IMG_2548.jpg

IMG_2550.jpg

IMG_2551.jpg

IMG_2552.jpg

IMG_2553.jpg

IMG_2558.jpg

Quite a fun afternoon that was! :lol:

( Well, actually only about an hour and a half of it at least!)

Here's a couple more pics. The rear wheel tubs were narrowed to allow them to slip past the frame for the channel to work. I cut the half moon part of the tubs out first and then filed the inside edge down until they were narrow enough to allow the body height I wanted. Then simply glued the half moons back to the remaining arch. The best part is, the lower edge is still intact to keep the nice line they designed into the kit. I didn't have to worry about reshaping it by trimming them vertically. This is the stance I'm gonna keep on this one too.

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2557.jpg

There's an early engine shot for you too.

Well, that's enough for tonight. This should do until tomorrow night!

Thanks again for following along!

:lol:

Thanks, Raul! I'm actually working on the tub right now. I'll update that one in the next post.

Here's where I stopped with the 5 window. I laid the paint and a coat of clear. It still needs more clear and some mild elbow grease and I should be happy with it. I have much to do on it yet but, I have until December to finish it. It'll get done loong before that though, don't worry! ;)

IMG_2610.jpg

IMG_2613.jpg

IMG_2615.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

IMG_2617.jpg

Roof insert is aluminum from a Red Bull can. I don't like how this one fits so I am going to try another piece.

Now more of the tub, or Pseudo Tub as I like to call it!

I did all this work this past Sunday. I got the body primed again and did some work on the interior.

IMG_2748.jpg

Since I'm pulling parts from the new sedan kit for this one, I couldn't use the floor if I wanted to use a single bomber seat, without surgery to the kit part. I figured since you aren't going to see a lot of the floor, why not scratch build one? Here's the result:

IMG_2749.jpg

Another part of the build I wasn't sure about got solved too. I picked up an AMT 41 Woody for parts and it had these beautiful hairpin radius rods.

IMG_2750.jpg

I'm doing some painting when I get done here and should at least get the front suspension done tonight.

Thanks again!

;)