Model Cars Magazine Forum

Miller Gulf Indy Special ... Help Wanted

absmiami

The 1940 Miller mid-engine Indy car - variously known as the Gulf Miller or the Preston Tucker Special - is now on display at the Indy Museum with it's engine bonnet open .

The car was a non-runner for many years and the subject of a long term Museum restoration.

As you can see, I began to build me one - in 24th scale of course - [ we'll leave the 24th/25th scale debate for another time]

these parts have sat quietly in this storage bin for several years - I was not satisfied with my suspension parts -

and there were no contemporary photos of the engine bay ...

The Dees Miller bible has great drawings and some famous black & whites - the shots of the engine are incredible

but I'd sure like some good engine bay photos of the restored car and perhaps some more good shots of the driving compartment ...  so ...

those of you who live within a Firestones' throw of Indy - I have a request

take me some pictures - post them her or send them to me - up to you

I'll gladly pay  your admit fee for the day !!

now, hurry !

by the way - the wire wheels are Bradford's 

FullSizeRender.jpg

For general pictures of these cars, I would recommend Karl Ludvigsen's excellent book "Indy Cars of the 1940s."  There are some bonnet off pictures of the engine.

It's too bad about these cars not achieving any success at the speedway. They were truly innovative in all respects.

IMHO, it is worth a trip to the Speedway just for the museum.