Model Cars Magazine Forum

Channeled '32 Ford 3-window

Bernard Kron

At last I can put this one “Under Glassâ€. When I first returned to car modeling last fall after several decades (!) away from “the hobby†my very first purchase was this Revellogram Good Guys ’32 3-window. I though I’d just build it out of the box, but within 10 minutes I had the body channeled over the frame and I was cutting plastic – which is the way I used to build years ago. I guess you can’t teach an old dog....

My plan when I started was to build the car entirely from what came in the kit. After all it was literally the only model I had at the time! I came pretty close. The only pieces not found in the box are the Replicas & Miniatures of Maryland 2†chop grille shell which comes with a beautiful p/e grille, the Revellogram ’32 roadster louvered side panels (thanx Raul!) and the Morgan Auto Detail pre-wired distributor. Everything else is stock or modified from kit parts. The body is un-chopped, the channel is pretty deep, about 6 ½ scale inches, the frame is stock from the kit and the only suspension modification was to lower the front suspension another couple of scale inches by shaving the mounting tab on the front spring (thanx to Tim Boyd and his excellent article last fall in MCM on Revellogram ’32 Ford building tips). With the stock height rear end the result is a pretty radical rake.

Paint is two coats of Tamiya Fluorescent Red followed by two coats of Duplicolor Super Red, all over a base of Plasti-Kote white primer. The whole thing was then sealed under four coats of Duplicolor Clear. The paint gave me real problems documented on my W.I.P. (http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=11554&st=0) and I landed up spending a couple of weeks rubbing the paint out. It came out pretty well so I’m very relieved! I wanted a real Eye Searing Red and I got it – I hope it shows up in the pictures.

The only thing worth mentioning about the largely stock interior (extensively cut, of course, due to the deep channel) is the use of straight pins to make some shiny buttons on the traditional roll upholstery (thanx for the tip, Raul!).

The wheels, suspension, motor, etc. are bone kit stock.

Thanx for lookin!

B.

DSCF0607-web.jpg

DSCF0569-web.jpg

DSCF0590-web.jpg

DSCF0617-web.jpg

DSCF0557-web.jpg

DSCF0599-web.jpg

DSCF0538-web.jpg

1c0621a0.jpg

a8649c40.jpg

Edited by gbk1

Great job, Bernard! I love the interior and your use of color. I have built 6 hotrods in the last 6-8 months and I still haven't finished one Revellogram deuce kits. My 5 window is using one of the frames and interiors but I have yet to build one OOB, and I probably never will. :D I can say from what I have done, they sure go together nice!

Can't wait to see what you are working on next!

:P

Bernard,

That is definitely "I WANT A TICKET" RED!! Yes, that's my favorite shade of red! :lol:

Great job on the entire build!! That grille is really nice!!

I can't wait to see this one at the NNL West!!

Later,

Edited by Raul_Perez

Thanx everyone.

This build definitely had its pluses and minuses. In retrospect forcing myself to use the kit parts exclusively was a mistake. It was a kind of artificial discipline. It might have made sense when it was the only model I had, but that was definitely not the case by the time I really got down to finishing it! Building models OTB is absolutely not my style, and never was even “back in the dayâ€. The whole build had the character of a “save†to it. When the paint went south that only compounded a situation where I wasn’t as “hooked up†to the vibe of the build as I normally like to be.

Of course I have to admit I’m very pleased with the color! The fluorescent under color technique is something I’m sure to use again.

Another part that I think was successful is the whole look of the front end. The cut down p/e grill and the low-mounted oversized headlights (they’re the stock ’32 coupe full fender lights) create an ultra-aggressive look I know I will use again. The headlights were a last minute idea. I drilled a hole in the center of each of the buckets and mounted them to the horizontal pin on the top of the shock mounts. The result is a radically low and forward headlight positioning.

Thanx for the props on the stance, Crap’n, but if I can indulge in a little self criticism, I’m a little dissatisfied with overall look. Along the way I lowered the grill shell just a tad too much and the car has a droop snoot look to it now that it didn’t when I did the mock ups. Check out the build pics to see what I mean. Frankly, I just couldn’t face modifying another radiator and cutting new side panels a 4th time (!) so I let it go... Now I regret not doing it...

The basic concept was a good one, I think. I’ll probably do another version of this but with more channel at the back end and perhaps no hood sides with a more interesting motor and externally mounted headers. But I have at least a half dozen other builds in the cue before I can even contemplate that!

Once again, thanx for all the kind words.

B.

...In retrospect forcing myself to use the kit parts exclusively was a mistake. It was a kind of artificial discipline. It might have made sense when it was the only model I had, but that was definitely not the case by the time I really got down to finishing it! Building models OTB is absolutely not my style, and never was even "back in the day"....

...When the paint went south that only compounded a situation where I wasn't as "hooked up" to the vibe of the build as I normally like to be...

...Of course I have to admit I'm very pleased with the color! The fluorescent under color technique is something I'm sure to use again...

...Another part that I think was successful is the whole look of the front end. The cut down p/e grill and the low-mounted oversized headlights (they're the stock '32 coupe full fender lights) create an ultra-aggressive look I know I will use again...The result is a radically low and forward headlight positioning...

...I'm a little dissatisfied with overall look. Along the way I lowered the grill shell just a tad too much and the car has a droop snoot look to it now that it didn't when I did the mock ups. Check out the build pics to see what I mean. Frankly, I just couldn't face modifying another radiator and cutting new side panels a 4th time (!) so I let it go... Now I regret not doing it...

...The basic concept was a good one, I think. I'll probably do another version of this but with more channel at the back end and perhaps no hood sides with a more interesting motor and externally mounted headers...

Bernard,

Yes, I too have tried to build strictly OTB...I can't seem to get there either!! :lol:

At least you kept moving forward with the build when the paint went south on you. I'll often take one of those builds and put anything of value into the parts bins and scrap the rest. Good job staying with it!! :lol:

Yes, the front view looks GREAT!! I also prefer the large headlights over the small ones in the kit, even on a fenderless build like this one.

I too would rather see the top of the grille shell aligned with the top of the cowl, but it looks much better a bit lower than it would if it was higher (which is the more common mistake). The misalignment is so slight that I doubt most people will even notice it.

Yes, build another one!! We all learn from each build, making the successive builds look that much better!! ;)

Keep the faith, my friend!! You're getting your model building chops back pretty quickly while learning how to use a lot of the materials and techniques that weren't around when you last built model cars. I applaud you for your effort and the rapid progression you’ve made in regaining your skills with each new build!!

Later,

Bernard, I think you're being way way way too hard on yourself. You did tis model to help you relax , yes? First, I don't see any thing wrong with it. In fact I've seen real Ford three window coupes that in my estimation , look a hellava lot worse! I think you took a page from Rod and Custom and cruised with it now stop being you're own worst enemy man, looks nice! Ed Shaver