Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 1969 Olds 442 W-30 Full Build Review

hpiguy

I enjoyed this kit, I've never owned it before and like Oldsmobiles.

Fit was fine, not one issue. Decals are great,  went on smooth.   Only issue was hand painting the loooonnnggggg chrome strip down the fenders and up around the windows, but the molding is prominent enough to let you do it with a good paint marker dragged sideways. (I don't do BMF)

You get four of the new Firestone Wide Oval tires and two Goodyear blue stripe slicks too.  Two wheel options, stock and custom.

Edited by hpiguy
Title mispelling

1 hour ago, hpiguy said:

I enjoyed this kit, I've never owned it before and like Oldsmobiles.

Fit was fine, not one issue. Decals are great,  went on smooth.   Only issue was hand painting the loooonnnggggg chrome strip down the fenders and up around the windows, but the molding is prominent enough to let you do it with a good paint marker dragged sideways. (I don't do BMF)

You get four of the new Firestone Wide Oval tires and two Goodyear blue stripe slicks too.  Two wheel options, stock and custom.

That review is EXACTLY, word for word, what I would have written about that kit when I built mine in the early '90s, right down to the chrome strip thing. It's definitely the weakest spot on my build. Maybe someday I'll go back and re-do that with my beloved Silver Sharpie. Should work great. 

69Olds1.jpg.cfd199ce0506a393bfc4d79f2d2873cd.jpg

69Olds2.jpg.e0efe5a81393847b1c8dbf47df338e53.jpg

Thank you for your review and build-up , Chris !  Very well done and presented as usual !

This kit's tooling is 30 years old , but appears that it still produces a nice , clean mould --- I didn't see any flash at all ! 

One of the AMT Oldsmobile 4-4-2 W-30 and its twin , the '69 H/O , finest points has got to be that engine block ! It is beautifully executed ; easily stands up to contemporary tooling .

The tyres look incredible ! And that extra set of Good Year Blue Streak slicks is a nice touch .

Thanks again , Chris !