Model Cars Magazine Forum

Food Dehydrator Questions

Just purchased a food dehydrator for drying paint. It's a Costzon and the food area is (rectangular) 12.6 x 9.8 x 5.1. I thought the configuration would lend itself well for this purpose. Anyway, having never use one before, I would like to know what, if anything, is used to support the parts for drying? Support material ie: plastic, wood, metal? Also, any tips and or concerns using the dehydrator would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Small parts I'll just attach to a plastic spoon or something with either tape or something called "Fun Tac". which is a removable type putty. I don't often put bodies in the dehydrator though as I'm paranoid about warping due to the bodywork I do.

I have to ask though............does yours have a temp control? This is important as you don't want the temp to get no hotter than 105 degrees for plastic bodies. Beyond that can be asking for trouble.

My Dehydrator is an Oster, bought at Walmart back now 8 yrs ago, with it's temp preset and fixed, ad 125F.  It has worked, each and every time I've used it, with styrene, RESIN (known to be temperature sensitive!) and metal parts, for "baking" paints, both enamel and lacquer, dry  and hard.  It works for me EVERY time it's used, so IMO, no need for a bunch of "rocket science"!

Art

Whatever you do, do NOT use any type of clamp that will put tension on the part. An example would be the Tamiya paint rack, with the spreader clips that go inside the body; if you use one of these, the spreader clips will widen the body (ask me how I know)!