Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Sizing Questions

MickeySix

How much room have you got?  The beauty of a diorama is telling a story.  Do you want a cluttered up single car garage stuffed with tools and spare parts, or a pristine 4-bay shop with floors you could eat off?  Check out some of the amazing work on this forum, most folks are happy to answer questions.

8 hours ago, bbowser said:

How much room have you got?  The beauty of a diorama is telling a story.  Do you want a cluttered up single car garage stuffed with tools and spare parts, or a pristine 4-bay shop with floors you could eat off?  Check out some of the amazing work on this forum, most folks are happy to answer questions.

Bruce makes an EXCELLENT point . My latest diorama rests on a 3ft X 4ft base 

8 hours ago, bbowser said:

Im looking to cover a whole dining room table with a town for my 1:24 1:25 cars

Wow, that's pretty ambitious!  If it was me, I would start with covering the table with a sheet of paper.  Pencil in your building(s) along a Main St perhaps?  Have a plan for your vision, things will change as you go along but that's part of the fun.  Different folks work in different ways however, so do what works best for you.  Take lots of pictures so we can go along for the ride B)

On 6/16/2018 at 5:06 PM, bbowser said:

Wow, that's pretty ambitious!  If it was me, I would start with covering the table with a sheet of paper.  Pencil in your building(s) along a Main St perhaps?  Have a plan for your vision, things will change as you go along but that's part of the fun.  Different folks work in different ways however, so do what works best for you.  Take lots of pictures so we can go along for the ride B)

Thanks for the advice! Will do!

On 6/16/2018 at 10:06 PM, bbowser said:

Good advice there.  I'd also recommend you build something, anything really to find out what materials, techniques and tools will suit you best.  Even quite small buildings take a lot of effort if you want a decent level of detail.

I am doing something similar (town).  It will require LOTS of space as certain buildings and land lots can be still be pretty large in 1/25 or 1/24 scale.That being said, use a scale converter to get your sizes.  I use this one... http://www.scalemodelersworld.com/online-scale-converter-tool.html .  Scroll down a little past half way and plug in your 1:1 size and ask for 1/24 or 1/25 scale, then transfer that onto paper or better, mark it off with tape and you will get an idea of how much you can fit on your table.  A small two/ three bay commercial shop would be roughly 40 ft wide by 32 ft deep and a 12 ft interior ceiling which translates to 18 inches by 15.36 inches by 5.76 inches in 1/25 scale and without the roof.  That plus a parking lot can chew up 1/4 of your table but it is still very doable to have a killer diorama with multiple buildings in a town setting.  I agree with the above advice to start with one thing and get a feel for what all is involved.  Good luck and show us your progress!