Model Cars Magazine Forum

Building a Tamiya 1/24 Austin Mini Cooper

Yeah seems like I good kit, dont think Ive ever built this one before. A little sentimental feeling towards it too as this was my first car. Although mine was black and this is going to be red!! 

Got the body prepared and primed this evening, engine block put together and primed. Think the engine is going to be green which I believe was standard on minis from this time. 

Stripped the chrome plate off the grill, as I want to paint all the chrome myself for a better finish, bit concerned about the grill as the fins are very narrow so might clog when painted, luckily the kit came with two incase it goes wrong!!!

Chris
www.wardsmodelbuilder.com
wardsmodelbuilder@outlook.com

IMG_20180627_201637.jpg

IMG_20180627_201727.jpg

2 hours ago, wardsmodelbuilder said:

Yeah seems like I good kit, dont think Ive ever built this one before. A little sentimental feeling towards it too as this was my first car. Although mine was black and this is going to be red!! 

Got the body prepared and primed this evening, engine block put together and primed. Think the engine is going to be green which I believe was standard on minis from this time. 

Stripped the chrome plate off the grill, as I want to paint all the chrome myself for a better finish, bit concerned about the grill as the fins are very narrow so might clog when painted, luckily the kit came with two incase it goes wrong!!!

Chris

IMG_20180627_201637.jpg

IMG_20180627_201727.jpg

Looking good!!….you shouldn't have any trouble with clogging on the grill, I re-paint them all the time without any issues, and I use rattle-cans!!...lol

Mini update, body painted and clear coated, will give it a few days before I start rubbing down and polishing. Engine going together well with a little detailing. Started on some interior painting too. All in all a nice kit to work with. 

I was worried over nothing with the grill, Im using alclad chrome and even with a prime and gloss black coat still visible grille lines. There is a fair bit of chrome on this motor!!!!!

IMG_20180629_203134.jpg

IMG_20180629_203352.jpg

IMG_20180629_204404.jpg

Here is another update on the little mini i'm putting together. 

Interior almost finished, need to finish up steering wheel and handbrake. Rear seats in and carpet flocking done. 

Body is finished and I've made a start on the bare metal foil work around the windows although I'm not too happy with the results. My BMF was a little old and very brittle (as I don't use it very often on my builds) think I'll purchase a new batch and redo. 

Other than that no major problems and everything is fitting together nicely. Hopefully should have it finished in the next few days. 

Chris 

IMG_20180703_104944_resized_20180703_110008405.jpg

Here are a few photos of the finished Mini, Not my best work but I'm ok with it. Just a little BMF around the windows let it down a little. But i'm happy with everything else, decided to do a little weathering on the interior to make it look a little tatty. 

Well now that's finished it's time to move on to the next project. 

Chris 

1.jpg

5.jpg

3.jpg