Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford Y-Block V8 "Fase II"

THANKS for that. I love engines, I love Y-blocks, and I had no idea they lasted so long down South. 

The first one definitely had some tuning issues, or a couple of tight valve clearances, but it sounded like the boys got the second one running about right. :D

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

• 2 weeks later...
3 hours ago, mk11 said:

Here's one in a '75 (south American market) F100. Gorgeous truck from the Pastore Collection in Brazil.

Yes, those trucks were very cool. My '74 Galaxie has a 292. Original from factory. 

The Fase II Y-Block was only made in Argentina. They changed the basic design modernizing it so they wouldn't have to import the 302, like Ford did in Brasil. 

1975 was the last year for te Y-Block here. The 1976 model year cars had the 302 Windsor. 

Pastore is not a place I would ever go to buy a car. They hide a lot of flaws with cheapo cosmetic work. 

A more honest dealer:

https://www.brunelliveiculosantigos.com.br/veiculos

Very interesting pictures Tulio. I looked closely at the Chevrolet pick-ups. The back half of the roof and the body sides remind me more of the styling Q's on Ford trucks. The windshield is definitely Chevrolet as is the Tail Lights. The Spare Tire mount in the bed is different from the North American trucks that usually mount them under the rear of the bed and use a crank to lower the spare when needed. Except for paint color the engine looks just like any other Chevrolet. The front grill looks exactly like a '60's Chevrolet but the grill surround and the head lights look unique.

14 hours ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Yes, those trucks were very cool. My '74 Galaxie has a 292. Original from factory. 

The Fase II Y-Block was only made in Argentina. They changed the basic design modernizing it so they wouldn't have to import the 302, like Ford did in Brasil. 

1975 was the last year for te Y-Block here. The 1976 model year cars had the 302 Windsor. 

Pastore is not a place I would ever go to buy a car. They hide a lot of flaws with cheapo cosmetic work. 

A more honest dealer:

https://www.brunelliveiculosantigos.com.br/veiculos

In past years I have owned several different Fords with the 234, 272, 292, and 312 engines and had good service from them al. I think the answer to any engine is maintenance. These engines had an engine oiling system that worked fine as long as the oil and filter was change on a regular basses. Unfortunately as these cars aged the owners would not keep up the maintenance and then blame the engine. I had two '57 Fords at different times, and drove them both as if I had stolen them and never had any engine problems.     

3 hours ago, espo said:

Very interesting pictures Tulio. I looked closely at the Chevrolet pick-ups. The back half of the roof and the body sides remind me more of the styling Q's on Ford trucks. The windshield is definitely Chevrolet as is the Tail Lights. The Spare Tire mount in the bed is different from the North American trucks that usually mount them under the rear of the bed and use a crank to lower the spare when needed. Except for paint color the engine looks just like any other Chevrolet. The front grill looks exactly like a '60's Chevrolet but the grill surround and the head lights look unique.

In past years I have owned several different Fords with the 234, 272, 292, and 312 engines and had good service from them al. I think the answer to any engine is maintenance. These engines had an engine oiling system that worked fine as long as the oil and filter was change on a regular basses. Unfortunately as these cars aged the owners would not keep up the maintenance and then blame the engine. I had two '57 Fords at different times, and drove them both as if I had stolen them and never had any engine problems.     

Those Chevrolets came out in 1964. They were pretty advanced for the day, and were more comfortable than many cars. They all had the 261 six up to the late '70s when GM started using the newer 250 six on them, along with the 151 four. 

I had the "suburban" version of the Chevy truck, called Veraneio. Mine was bought new by my father back in 1973, and latter given to me. She had almost all factory paint, vinyl roof, power steering, and the De Luxo pack, that included a side stripe, and full wheel covers, among other goodies. 

The engine was the 261 six. 

The Veraneio was a heavy car, and that engine had a very short relation differential to help to get things moving better with a lot of cargo, and that made the Veraneio slow, and thirsty. Sold the Veraneio back in 2005 to help funding a "hot" 292 for my Galaxie. 

The Galaxie had the original engine, with close to 500.000 kms on the clock. The car was bought new by a engineer that worked for Petrobás, and he drove the Galaxie from Itajaí, in the state of Santa Catarina (my state) to Rio de Janeiro, once a month. That's a pretty long haul, and I think that kept the car in great condition, as 99% of his mileage was highway. 

I opened the Y-Block in 2010, and found FoMoCo bearings, pistons, camshaft, all in standard size. The engine had never being opened before. 

It had some blow by, but almost no ridge on the cylinders. 

I had the block bored, decked, and installed a Isky cam, Clevite pistons, bearings, and Sealed Power rings. Used a pair of big valve heads a friend brought from the U.S., along with  a four barrel intake. New oil pump, water pump. To keep things Ford, I used a Autolite 4100 carburetor. The engine has plenty of power. 

I use to do work on Ford cars, and here in Brasil, I never found one with the oil passages to the heads clogged. I think the detergent oils that were widely used even in the '70s, avoided this kind of problem here. The only complaint of the owners is low power, as Ford tried to make the engine as fuel eficiente as possible, and used a Webber - DFV 444 carburetor, a two barrel that had considerably small jets, and overall lean calibration. A simple carburetor change, even keeping the engine a two barrel, but using a Motorcraft 2100 carburetor with 1.08 ventures, and some 49F jets will make the engines change 100%. 

4 hours ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

Those Chevrolets came out in 1964. They were pretty advanced for the day, and were more comfortable than many cars. They all had the 261 six up to the late '70s when GM started using the newer 250 six on them, along with the 151 four. 

I had the "suburban" version of the Chevy truck, called Veraneio. Mine was bought new by my father back in 1973, and latter given to me. She had almost all factory paint, vinyl roof, power steering, and the De Luxo pack, that included a side stripe, and full wheel covers, among other goodies. 

The engine was the 261 six. 

The Veraneio was a heavy car, and that engine had a very short relation differential to help to get things moving better with a lot of cargo, and that made the Veraneio slow, and thirsty. Sold the Veraneio back in 2005 to help funding a "hot" 292 for my Galaxie. 

The Galaxie had the original engine, with close to 500.000 kms on the clock. The car was bought new by a engineer that worked for Petrobás, and he drove the Galaxie from Itajaí, in the state of Santa Catarina (my state) to Rio de Janeiro, once a month. That's a pretty long haul, and I think that kept the car in great condition, as 99% of his mileage was highway. 

I opened the Y-Block in 2010, and found FoMoCo bearings, pistons, camshaft, all in standard size. The engine had never being opened before. 

It had some blow by, but almost no ridge on the cylinders. 

I had the block bored, decked, and installed a Isky cam, Clevite pistons, bearings, and Sealed Power rings. Used a pair of big valve heads a friend brought from the U.S., along with  a four barrel intake. New oil pump, water pump. To keep things Ford, I used a Autolite 4100 carburetor. The engine has plenty of power. 

I use to do work on Ford cars, and here in Brasil, I never found one with the oil passages to the heads clogged. I think the detergent oils that were widely used even in the '70s, avoided this kind of problem here. The only complaint of the owners is low power, as Ford tried to make the engine as fuel eficiente as possible, and used a Webber - DFV 444 carburetor, a two barrel that had considerably small jets, and overall lean calibration. A simple carburetor change, even keeping the engine a two barrel, but using a Motorcraft 2100 carburetor with 1.08 ventures, and some 49F jets will make the engines change 100%. 

I mentioned that I had owned several of these Ford powered cars. One that I enjoyed was an old retired pick-up that was used by a nursery service with the floor of the bed completely gone and just a blanket over the seat springs to sit on. The truck had a 292 engine from a passenger car and the three speed with overdrive transmission. I rebuilt the engine and found some "big valve" heads that were supposed to be only on the 312 engines. They were called the "D" heads based on the part number that was on the underside of the head. I added a 3x2 manifold and carbs that I bought used and rebuilt and found some old exhaust manifolds that were used on the F350 1 ton trucks. They looked like a set of the Chevrolet "Ram Horn" exhaust manifolds and were very free flowing. I did most of the  body work and made a new bed floor it and had a local body shop paint it for me. There was also a local trim shop that did the interior. Had a lot of fun with it and sold it to buy a new '67 El Camino.    

5 hours ago, espo said:

I mentioned that I had owned several of these Ford powered cars. One that I enjoyed was an old retired pick-up that was used by a nursery service with the floor of the bed completely gone and just a blanket over the seat springs to sit on. The truck had a 292 engine from a passenger car and the three speed with overdrive transmission. I rebuilt the engine and found some "big valve" heads that were supposed to be only on the 312 engines. They were called the "D" heads based on the part number that was on the underside of the head. I added a 3x2 manifold and carbs that I bought used and rebuilt and found some old exhaust manifolds that were used on the F350 1 ton trucks. They looked like a set of the Chevrolet "Ram Horn" exhaust manifolds and were very free flowing. I did most of the  body work and made a new bed floor it and had a local body shop paint it for me. There was also a local trim shop that did the interior. Had a lot of fun with it and sold it to buy a new '67 El Camino.    

The heads I got are the ECZ-G from 1957, early 1958. Those have the 1,927" intake valves, but also the high compression 69cc combustion chambers. The inatke I got is the 9465-B, with spread bore studs, that accepts "modern" carburetors. The other Ford intake, the 9425-A only accepts the Holley Teapot. My engine works very well like that, and has more power than the stock 302 on my '82 Galaxie Landau. 

I almost got a Edelbrock intake for three Stromberg carburetors, but they wouldn't be as easy to keep running on a daily basis as the Autolite 4100, not to mention the hood wouldn't close...

All in all, the Y-Block is with ease my favorite engine. They run forever. 

On one of the cars I do work on, the engine is really worn, barely has 70 pounds of compression, and the oil pressure is 25 pounds only when cold, and using 20W50 oil. After it's hot, it goes down to 5. We bought all rebuild parts, and even have a spare block, but the engine just keeps going and going. 

Not to mention the sound the Y does trough a pair of long glasspacks. Sweet!!!

9 hours ago, Lovefordgalaxie said:

The heads I got are the ECZ-G from 1957, early 1958. Those have the 1,927" intake valves, but also the high compression 69cc combustion chambers. The inatke I got is the 9465-B, with spread bore studs, that accepts "modern" carburetors. The other Ford intake, the 9425-A only accepts the Holley Teapot. My engine works very well like that, and has more power than the stock 302 on my '82 Galaxie Landau. 

I almost got a Edelbrock intake for three Stromberg carburetors, but they wouldn't be as easy to keep running on a daily basis as the Autolite 4100, not to mention the hood wouldn't close...

All in all, the Y-Block is with ease my favorite engine. They run forever. 

On one of the cars I do work on, the engine is really worn, barely has 70 pounds of compression, and the oil pressure is 25 pounds only when cold, and using 20W50 oil. After it's hot, it goes down to 5. We bought all rebuild parts, and even have a spare block, but the engine just keeps going and going. 

Not to mention the sound the Y does trough a pair of long glasspacks. Sweet!!!

I agree with you on the Glass Packs. Everyone now seems to like the Magnaflow or Flowmaster mufflers. Of the two I like the sound from the Flowmasters and have had them on several different cars but not on a Y Block. Up until the early '90's I would always use 26" to 30" Glass  Packs on any car or truck when I changed the exhaust system. You mentioned this older Y Block with the very low oil pressure. It would almost be a shame to ruin the block and crank by running to long on low oil pressure. But then there is always that challenge to see just how long it will hang on. The 3x2 setup on the truck gave me very little problems after I went through the carbs. I used a mechanical linkage setup and It would run fine in normal driving on the center carb. After about half throttle the two end carbs would open and you could really feel the difference at wide open throttle.