Model Cars Magazine Forum

Terry Labonte's Kellogg's car

bandit1

Hi Y'all, this is what I was working on last night during the the Google Hangouts hosted by Gil 

Just alot of cleaning up of the body and parts getting everything ready for primer when the weather warms up enough...

Also wondering what year of this car is this kit based on or more accurate to?

Thanks and have a Blessed day! ?

IMG_20190104_211603.jpg

Edited by bandit1
Typo

I use to know, what year was what on these cars . You could kind of tell if it was slab sided or not but I have completely forgotten and too lazy to look it up. I'm sure a bunch of the other guys, can tell you what year it is,  especially John Wolfe, the Terry Labonte expert. Looking forward to watching your build on this. I always enjoy wips . Nice to see how a final product came about.

Being a Terry Labonte fanatic, I'm really glad to see that you're building this car. By the way, the car pictured on the model box is the standard paint configuration on Terry's '97 Monte Carlos.

Revell/Monogram produced two different bodies/kits of the mid to late '90's Monte Carlos. The first was the "rounded side" Monte Carlo cars  '('95-'96) that had the "oval topped" lower air intake and the oil cooler lines which ran behind the radiator. (shown below on the Interstate Batteries car.)

The second was a "slab sided" body that better represented the '97-'99 Monte Carlos. It has a molded in rectangular lower air intake and had no oil cooler lines. (shown below on the '97 Kelloggs car.)

I normally don't comment on "work in progress" threads, preferring to wait and comment on the finished items. But rest assured that I will be closely watching your progress.

John

%0A (147).jpg

%0A (144).jpg

Kelloggs97-2-1.jpg

Kelloggs97-3-1.jpg

Edited by Old Coyote
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bandit1 said:

Here is the nose compared to the box art so im taking it would be a 97 and up car? btw does it look like something is missing via the front nose of the box art car? 

IMG_20190106_172416.jpg

The lower nose panel in the kit is a half mile/superspeedway  nose piece ..... the picture on the box shows a short track car with additional lower scoops for front brake cooling ducts, as extra braking is required on short and road course tracks ..... and you are correct, that is a "slab sided" kit which lends itself to replicating '97-'99  Monte Carlos 

When I build a replica of one of the '97-'99  Kellogg's speedway cars, I sand off the raised plastic lower air duct grilles and replace them with more authentic looking decals from a Slixx decal sheet ..... as you can see below on my replica of the '99 Winston All Star race winning Kellogg's K-Sentials car ..... if you build a short track car you can match the center duct decal with short track duct decals which usually come on the same sheet ..... some Slixx sheets are still available from Mike's decals and from Southern Motorsports Hobbies

MC05.jpg

MC02.jpg

MC03.jpg

MC08.jpg

Edited by Old Coyote