Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT 71 Plymouth Duster 340 & 440 6-Packs

RDean58

I picked up the 71 Duster kit mainly for the small block engine for a 70 Charger project and decided to put a 440 in it. Well, I could not leave well enough alone and decided to get another Duster and build it as the six pack 340 car.

71_Duster_01.jpg

This is the 340 car. I have the L60x15 inch tires on the rear and kit supplied F60x14s on the front.

71_Duster_02.jpg

The 440 six pack car has the same tire combo but not sure about the wheels yet. I used the rear axle and springs from a 68 charger kit, mainly because one of the 71 Duster kits had some badly molded rear springs. Also I decided that the 440 six pack would shred the stock rear axle in real life.

71_Duster_03.jpg

71_Duster_04.jpg

Here is the 340 (I'm going to call it a 318) sitting in the 70 Charger. This will be the "500" version with the tail light panel from the 70 F&F charger and the A/C unit from the Duster.

70_Charger_318.jpg

Thanks for looking, all comments welcomed.

The Dana 60 from a 68 Charger sitting in it's place on the Duster frame.

71_Duster_05.jpg

What I had to cut out in order to get the 440/4 speed to fit in it's proper place.

It might not be this bad to do a real one, but I was dealing with scale fidelity here. I'll rebuild the trans tunnel later. I also needed to move the trans mount back and I'll need to make some frame connectors.

71_Duster_06.jpg

1 hour ago, wku88 said:

With the 440 car, why not make it a "Phantom" A12 car with open steelies, and a lift off 'glass hood?

Hum.... A found out Harts Resin makes a lift off 340 six pack hood, I could go that route with the 440. I am going to use the same wheels I have on the 340 car for the 440, I just got them all painted!