Model Cars Magazine Forum

Golden High Flow acrylics?????

I used to paint pictures on paper and have a lot of Golden High Flow acrylics left over. Before I start testing if it will stick to model cars I was just wondering if anyone has used or do use this paint for your models. Pros and cons would be appreciated if you have used it. I would be airbrushing these if they will work.

Thanks for any help in advance on this.

From the Golden Paints website:

Automotive: HFAs can be used for custom automotive painting with proper surface preparation and top-coating. The underlying paint layers and topcoat should be intended for automotive applications. The surface should be clean of finger oils and dust, and scuffed sufficiently to allow for proper adhesion. The acrylic paint layers do not need additional sanding in order for the topcoat to adhere. However, allow enough time for the water, retarders and other additives to leave the film prior to clear-coating.

49 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

From the Golden Paints website:

Automotive: HFAs can be used for custom automotive painting with proper surface preparation and top-coating. The underlying paint layers and topcoat should be intended for automotive applications. The surface should be clean of finger oils and dust, and scuffed sufficiently to allow for proper adhesion. The acrylic paint layers do not need additional sanding in order for the topcoat to adhere. However, allow enough time for the water, retarders and other additives to leave the film prior to clear-coating.

Thanks Joe. I forgot about that on the website. I'll give some spoons a good coat and let it dry and see how it goes.  THANKS

7 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

No problem, Richard. I'm interested in how it goes myself. :)

I think it might work OK. I found some spoons I had tested with various paints I have on hand. These were a few years back. Just getting back into building and I have a lot of paints leftover that I used to paint pictures on paper with. All are acrylics. Createx, EFX-Etac and golden high flow. I know the Golden was the one I used the most of. I had to do some airbrush cleaning that was more extensive to clean than the others with Golden. It would stick better to the cups on the brushes. I'll let you know how it goes. I am not sure if the colors would be what I would want but I am not fussy about being exact for a model/year. I just try to paint what might look good for the model.

I have models that I painted with the el-cheapo walmart acrylics that still look very good. I have a bottle of the old Future clear coat that I have used for years that I sprayed on them and they still shine like new.

Thanks a lot.

Edited by retired & glad

It's funny you should mention this, I've been considering GHF transparent paints to put over gold or silver base colors and top with Pledge floor care. Wondering if it might produce a candy effect. I might pick up a couple of bottles to play with. I also noticed that Vallejo makes acrylic candy colors. The difference is I have to order in the VJ paints but can go to the art supply store to get the Golden's product line.

FWIW I use quite a bit of Liquitex soft body artist paints on models ( has to be thinned). It sticks to about anything but I prime with Stynylrez primer anyway.

Edited by Dave G.

5 hours ago, Dave G. said:

It's funny you should mention this, I've been considering GHF transparent paints to put over gold or silver base colors and top with Pledge floor care. Wondering if it might produce a candy effect. I might pick up a couple of bottles to play with. I also noticed that Vallejo makes acrylic candy colors. The difference is I have to order in the VJ paints but can go to the art supply store to get the Golden's product line.

FWIW I use quite a bit of Liquitex soft body artist paints on models ( has to be thinned). It sticks to about anything but I prime with Stynylrez primer anyway.

I sprayed some Golden HF this morning and it stuck very good. I am going to let it dry overnight and see if it scratches with my finger nail. I also sprayed some Golden fluid paint ( after thinning ) and will check the same thing in the morning. I have big bottles of vallejo surface primer in grey, black and white that I use to prime the models. If it is primed then about any kind will stick to the primer. I also have some Atelier satin and gloss varnish that I have never used so it will be a test of sorts.

On 5/19/2019 at 12:08 PM, retired & glad said:

I sprayed some Golden HF this morning and it stuck very good. I am going to let it dry overnight and see if it scratches with my finger nail. I also sprayed some Golden fluid paint ( after thinning ) and will check the same thing in the morning. I have big bottles of vallejo surface primer in grey, black and white that I use to prime the models. If it is primed then about any kind will stick to the primer. I also have some Atelier satin and gloss varnish that I have never used so it will be a test of sorts.

How did your test pan out r&g ? If that Vallejo primer doesn't bond too well I can recommend Badger Stynylrez with no reservations. It's been working great for me under acrylics and even enamel paint.

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

How did your test pan out r&g ? If that Vallejo primer doesn't bond too well I can recommend Badger Stynylrez with no reservations. It's been working great for me under acrylics and even enamel paint.

Well I did the scratch thing with my finger nail and it didn't scratch or come off. This was on straight plastic spoons. The only thing I can see wrong with using Golden is the colors. They are not bold. Kinda dull and muted or flat. A clear overcoat would make it shine good. As far as the primer goes, it does just fine with what I have used. I haven't tried Stynylrez yet but give me time, I'll spend some money and probably get some.

I kinda played with airbrushes today after priming a kit I had started back a few years ago. I have so many airbrushes, it is fun just to spray with them and see how they do with different paints. It's been a few years since I've played with models and I'd forgotten how much fun it is to just sit and mess with them. Bunch of kits in the closet that need building so I have a long time to get low on anything except paint. 

Luckily I have close to me a very good hobby model shop. Southern Motor Sports is the name and he carries about everything for models anyone would want.

I am 74 years old so all I have to do all day is mess with hobbies. Or just watch grass grow. HA HA HA

44 minutes ago, retired & glad said:

Well I did the scratch thing with my finger nail and it didn't scratch or come off. This was on straight plastic spoons. The only thing I can see wrong with using Golden is the colors. They are not bold. Kinda dull and muted or flat. A clear overcoat would make it shine good. As far as the primer goes, it does just fine with what I have used. I haven't tried Stynylrez yet but give me time, I'll spend some money and probably get some.

I kinda played with airbrushes today after priming a kit I had started back a few years ago. I have so many airbrushes, it is fun just to spray with them and see how they do with different paints. It's been a few years since I've played with models and I'd forgotten how much fun it is to just sit and mess with them. Bunch of kits in the closet that need building so I have a long time to get low on anything except paint. 

I like airbrushing as well, it's really a hobby in itself. But as far as the primer, if you find what you have to work so be it lol ! Actually, Stynylrez and the Vallejo primers are both poly acrylic.

You might want to squirt a clear coat on some of those paints, it might be just what they need.

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

I like airbrushing as well, it's really a hobby in itself. But as far as the primer, if you find what you have to work so be it lol ! Actually, Stynylrez and the Vallejo primers are both poly acrylic.

You might want to squirt a clear coat on some of those paints, it might be just what they need.

Yep, I'll give them a shot of clear. I have some satin and gloss clear including some old Future. Primer looks good on what I sprayed today. I'll wait until tomorrow to mess with them. Right now I am working on 2 "55 Chevrolets. One is hard top and the other is convertible. The hard top is a rework that I started a few years back and didn't like the paint scheme for it. I have to dip the interior in a paint removal tub and let it soak for a while. 

Are you working on anything???

I actually like trucks more than cars since that is what I've owned for years and years. Just a plain old REDNECK, I guess. HA HA

11 hours ago, retired & glad said:

Yep, I'll give them a shot of clear. I have some satin and gloss clear including some old Future. Primer looks good on what I sprayed today. I'll wait until tomorrow to mess with them. Right now I am working on 2 "55 Chevrolets. One is hard top and the other is convertible. The hard top is a rework that I started a few years back and didn't like the paint scheme for it. I have to dip the interior in a paint removal tub and let it soak for a while.

Are you working on anything???

I actually like trucks more than cars since that is what I've owned for years and years. Just a plain old REDNECK, I guess. HA HA

I've been testing acrylic paints for 18 months now, various brands on and off, my own thinner combos etc. But I've managed to kind of hobble together a 69 Mustang Mach1 almost to where I might put the wheels on. I wish I had not glued in the glass and interior tub because I'm really not happy with the paint. I did it in plain red and I don't know why, it's just not my thing, so it is sitting. I don't know if I can get it apart without wrecking it.

I've started a 1/16 scale 1911 Mercer runabout. I have a bunch of parts primed up in Stynylrez, have some of the Model Master enamel black on for where the stripes will be, just need to mask them off, shoot another light primer coat and then lay down the yellow. But as summer comes I get busy so it will probably be a fall thing. This kit has special meaning because it's been sitting in a crawl space for the last 40 years as life went on, my wife gave me that kit when we were first married, in a time where I don't know where she dug the money up from.

I have a 49 Ford in the wings waiting, I've collected some extra parts for it to make it how I want it. I'm a little excited about that kit as I'm replicating from memory one I built when I was about 12yo ( 69 now). But models are not my only activity nor my only hobby, so things progress slowly.

I sprayed the Tamiya clear red this morning, over rose gold metallic craft paint and the finish is a beautiful candy metallic with that gold undertone and fleck. I thinned it about 40% with lacquer thinner and put it down @ 25lb with the Paasche H. The craft paint I put on a couple of weeks ago and cleared with Pledge, I just lightly scuffed that to prepare it for the Tamiya red. I also have Tamiya clear blue which is a rich dark blue candy, which I think a splash of that in the red will get me close to the burgundy/maroon I'm after for the 49 Ford ( I told you I work slow, that 49 is months away from being worked on). But more than anything I'm just reporting how nice that Tamiya clear series is. It sprays like lacquer really.

4 hours ago, Dave G. said:

I sprayed the Tamiya clear red this morning, over rose gold metallic craft paint and the finish is a beautiful candy metallic with that gold undertone and fleck. I thinned it about 40% with lacquer thinner and put it down @ 25lb with the Paasche H. The craft paint I put on a couple of weeks ago and cleared with Pledge, I just lightly scuffed that to prepare it for the Tamiya red. I also have Tamiya clear blue which is a rich dark blue candy, which I think a splash of that in the red will get me close to the burgundy/maroon I'm after for the 49 Ford ( I told you I work slow, that 49 is months away from being worked on). But more than anything I'm just reporting how nice that Tamiya clear series is. It sprays like lacquer really.

Sounds good. Hope to see some pictures later when you make some. I've been playing with  the paasche H's for a few days now. I'm not used to them since I've used 2 stage systems for so long. I have 3 H+S Infinitys and 3 Badgers that I have been using for pictures. I'll probably change back to them when I get some testing finished. Man, time flies when we are having fun, doesn't it.