Forum will be Offline for Server Maintenance ×
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Rare promos

Comments in the thread that Chris started about the Valiants reminded me of a long-ago magazine article about a '66 Mustang promo. Seems Ford was considering a tail light design change for the '66 but changed it's mind just before production. This subject dovetails nicely with some of Tim Boyds' observations about mpc and amt late sixties/early seventies Ford and Chryco models being supplied with drivetrains and other details cancelled prior to 1:1 introduction.

Wonder if any more of these actually turned up....

and even more, where did the 1:1 prototype parts end up ?

Make a great conversion kit.

66mstprmo.jpg

66mstmtrtrd.jpg

66gtmstprtyp.jpg

P3236332 (2).JPG

Edited by mk11

There have been a lot of comments I've heard or read about over the years.  One was the Cruver '49 Olds 98 sedan, one of which I saw at Toledo years ago.  Another was the SMP '11 Chevrolet Prototype.  Then there are cars that were reportedly molded in colors in small quantities such as black '57 Thunderbird and '67 Eldorado.  Since Ebay came along, people no longer had to resort to seeing the same cars at the same shows for years on end.  Now people can find rare models and colors on the Internet from other cities, states and countries. 

A couple of years ago, someone out of Chicago was selling 2 or 3 prototype National Products '51 Buick sedans on Ebay.  The Buy-It-Now price was $180.00 each.  It was very crude looking compared to their '49 and '50 model cars.  A paperweight version of the '51 was made.  I wonder how rare that is?  

• 2 years later...

Tom Piagari had a Cruver Olds too; his plan was to make molds and copy all the small parts to take up the slack after The Modelhaus closed - then mold the body to make a complete kit. One of the many projects that didn't happen before it was too late.

Interesting to note that it looks to be molded in acetate - but the ones I've seen have little to no warpage/shrinkage. Wouldn't mind having one myself.