Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Ford Fairlane Skyliner

Nitromethane

As a kid, I was always excited each September or so to see the new model year cars being offered. I anxiously looked forward to the yearly automotive introductions to disect how the new cars differed stylistically from the previous years. Those were the times when there was real, honest-to-goodness creative styling. 1957 was a special year in that there was a new Ford model that was both a hardtop coupe and a convertible in one! The 1957 Ford Fairlane Skyliner was one of the first cars, if not the first one, to feature a retractable hardtop! SunStar did a remarkable job in rendering their 1:18 scale replica. They were able to mechanically perfect a way for the top to be retracted and housed in the body as per the original car.

The Skyliner displays very well on its own and looks quite fine along with Yat Ming's 1955 Ford Crown Victoria.

Thanks for looking...

408858107.jpg

408858106.jpg

408858111.jpg

408858110.jpg

408858108.jpg

408858249.jpg

408858250.jpg

408858251.jpg

408858253.jpg

408858350.jpg

408858252.jpg

Nice!  Sunstar seems to do such a great job with their cars.  I had a 64 Galaxie that was one of my favorites.   

I have the 57 in a MInt car - the red one with the incorrect paint across the rear.   I am also working on a 59 Revell plastic kit and trying my darndest to buid it witih the working top.   I also have 3 55s from the Mints (purple/white, pink/white, black/white), an AMT 56 builtup, Mint 56 Sunliner, the 57 convertible, a Revell 57 race car.   I *think* I read somewhere that the Fords outsold the Chevies of the period?   Guess they all rusted out, cause if that is so, there sure aren't as many seen as the Chevy.   The more I look at them, the more I like the Ford.   Such a pretty design for 55 & 56.   57 not so much in my eyes, but still good.